Thread: "UNDER SIDE" stamp on 4" blank plate?

Post Likes

"UNDER SIDE" stamp on 4" blank plate?

A question for the know-it-alls. Why do 4" electrical blank plates have a stamp that reads "UNDER SIDE" on one side? My obsessive nature will not allow this rule to be ignored even if it seems meaningless which side is exposed.

Post Likes
    It is so when you tighten the screws to hold the cover on, they pull the cover against them, not push it away. Same theory when you put wire under a screw and tighten it. Always wrap the screw in the direction of tightening.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by troyorr View Post
    It is so when you tighten the screws to hold the cover on, they pull the cover against them, not push it away. Same theory when you put wire under a screw and tighten it. Always wrap the screw in the direction of tightening.
    Beat me to it. I was trying to find literature to help prove that to the know it alls.
    "It's always controls"

Post Likes
    Thats cause us Ohio boys are on top of things. Delta-T, when you resod your yard, the underside may be marked green side up.

Post Likes
    Thats cause us Ohio boys are on top of things. Delta-T, when you resod your yard, the underside may be marked green side up.
    "It's always controls"

Post Likes
    I swear I have never noticed a stamp like that.

If it don't go on rite, I flip it over.

Post Likes

Sorry bud, that was among my first ideas too, however if you go out to the truck and check it, you can install it in any position from either side. It also follows that when one screw "pulls it on", like a wire, the other is opposite.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
    Sorry bud, that was among my first ideas too, however if you go out to the truck and check it, you can install it in any position from either side. It also follows that when one screw "pulls it on", like a wire, the other is opposite.
    Uh, the slot that looks like a hook points counter clock wise when it is backwards and when you tighten the screw it tries to push the plate off of the slot, when it is correct it points clockwise and tightening the screw draws the cover tighter towards the screw. Depending on your locality you can fail electrical if these are wrong. If you have a different plate from what we are talking about take a picture
    "It's always controls"

Post Likes
    I think that I found the plate that you are talking about.
    www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5A053
    I have no idea if this is stamped like the ones you are talking about but the only reason that I could think of (make up) would be that the corrosion resistive properties are not the same for both sides, but again that is a total blind guess.
    "It's always controls"

Post Likes
    I'm gonna say they aren't all stamped.

But I'm gonna check when I get back to work.... lol

Post Likes
    yup, thats the plate that is common roun' here... defies explanation

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DPSwitch View Post
    I'm gonna say they aren't all stamped.

But I'm gonna check when I get back to work.... lol
    Dude now I have to know. I thought I had seen that stamp on the plates we were talking about but now I am not sure damn it I do not have any plates left in my van. WHY NO WHY
    "It's always controls"

Post Likes
    It's there to drive obssessive people nut's and apparently it's working. LOL My guess is it's some engineer's form of a joke. They do have a weird sense of humor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by model m-man View Post
    It's there to drive obssessive people nut's and apparently it's working. LOL My guess is it's some engineer's form of a joke. They do have a weird sense of humor.
    BASTARDS!!!!!
    "It's always controls"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in