Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    474

    "UNDER SIDE" stamp on 4" blank plate?

    A question for the know-it-alls. Why do 4" electrical blank plates have a stamp that reads "UNDER SIDE" on one side? My obsessive nature will not allow this rule to be ignored even if it seems meaningless which side is exposed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    3,112
    It is so when you tighten the screws to hold the cover on, they pull the cover against them, not push it away. Same theory when you put wire under a screw and tighten it. Always wrap the screw in the direction of tightening.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by troyorr View Post
    It is so when you tighten the screws to hold the cover on, they pull the cover against them, not push it away. Same theory when you put wire under a screw and tighten it. Always wrap the screw in the direction of tightening.
    Beat me to it. I was trying to find literature to help prove that to the know it alls.
    "It's always controls"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    3,112
    Thats cause us Ohio boys are on top of things. Delta-T, when you resod your yard, the underside may be marked green side up.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by troyorr View Post
    Thats cause us Ohio boys are on top of things. Delta-T, when you resod your yard, the underside may be marked green side up.
    "It's always controls"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2,801
    I swear I have never noticed a stamp like that.

    If it don't go on rite, I flip it over.
    ___________________________________________


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by troyorr View Post
    It is so when you tighten the screws to hold the cover on, they pull the cover against them, not push it away. Same theory when you put wire under a screw and tighten it. Always wrap the screw in the direction of tightening.


    Sorry bud, that was among my first ideas too, however if you go out to the truck and check it, you can install it in any position from either side. It also follows that when one screw "pulls it on", like a wire, the other is opposite.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
    Sorry bud, that was among my first ideas too, however if you go out to the truck and check it, you can install it in any position from either side. It also follows that when one screw "pulls it on", like a wire, the other is opposite.
    Uh, the slot that looks like a hook points counter clock wise when it is backwards and when you tighten the screw it tries to push the plate off of the slot, when it is correct it points clockwise and tightening the screw draws the cover tighter towards the screw. Depending on your locality you can fail electrical if these are wrong. If you have a different plate from what we are talking about take a picture
    "It's always controls"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,448
    I think that I found the plate that you are talking about.
    www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5A053
    I have no idea if this is stamped like the ones you are talking about but the only reason that I could think of (make up) would be that the corrosion resistive properties are not the same for both sides, but again that is a total blind guess.
    "It's always controls"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2,801
    I'm gonna say they aren't all stamped.

    But I'm gonna check when I get back to work.... lol
    ___________________________________________


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    474
    yup, thats the plate that is common roun' here... defies explanation

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by DPSwitch View Post
    I'm gonna say they aren't all stamped.

    But I'm gonna check when I get back to work.... lol
    Dude now I have to know. I thought I had seen that stamp on the plates we were talking about but now I am not sure damn it I do not have any plates left in my van. WHY NO WHY
    "It's always controls"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    443
    It's there to drive obssessive people nut's and apparently it's working. LOL My guess is it's some engineer's form of a joke. They do have a weird sense of humor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event