lineset temp

Thread: lineset temp

Hybrid View

lineset temp

I'm trying to see if this is a problem before I call the installers. When my a/c is running the copper lines going into the compressor are not very different in temp. I would describe the small line as room temp and the larger insulated line as slightly cool. I remember reading somewhere and it would make sense that one would be hot and one cold. The a/c seems to work ok but the outside temp hasn't been over 80 since the install so it's hard to say. The supply air is cool but not anywhere near as cold as even my window unit. The temp difference from return to supply is about 10-12 degrees by using a temp gauge. Does this sound ok or should I have them look at it? Thanks!

Yup, give them a call.

Without actual temperatures of tubing and air just before entering the indoor coil and just after leaving the indoor coil, there is no way to tell from here if there is a problem or not.

Are you having a problem with keeping cool or do you just have a lot of free time to watch the air conditioner run?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Are you having a problem with keeping cool or do you just have a lot of free time to watch the air conditioner run?
    I've just been feeling the line temp while I wait for my dogs to do their business. so not free time per se

I don't have a problem cooling yet but like I said the system hasn't had to deal with anything over a 5 degree difference between inside and outside temp. I fully admit that my temp reading method is crude at best being just outside the register not inside the plenums. What I do know is every other person I know that has a/c has cold air coming out of their vents and I have moderately cool air. I wish the temp would get in the 90s to push it but it hasn't yet.

Also if this helps the supply runs are metal and in the crawl where it isn't hot.

The only way to know for sure is to know what the superheat is. Wish I lived where you are only 80's in July must be nice

Bushum, the difference between your supply temp and return temp should be about 20 degrees. If you're only getting 10-12 you have a problem and it will become more apparent as the outside temp goes higher (no cooling). Call the company that did the install and have them take a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdummy39 View Post
    Bushum, the difference between your supply temp and return temp should be about 20 degrees. If you're only getting 10-12 you have a problem and it will become more apparent as the outside temp goes higher (no cooling). Call the company that did the install and have them take a look at it.
    Not neccesarily true. There may not be a problem at all. Depends on the condition of the air in the home and how bushy is taking the temperature readings. A wet coil will have a much lower delta-t without there being anything wrong with the system.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Not neccesarily true. There may not be a problem at all. Depends on the condition of the air in the home and how bushy is taking the temperature readings. A wet coil will have a much lower delta-t without there being anything wrong with the system.
    For sure, depending on the wb, you will see lower than 20.

just dont let ur dogs do the business on the condensors...will cost ya in short run..(no leg hikes)