Thread: Couple questions

Post Likes

Couple questions

1. Would it hurt anything to have the condensate drain line empty into the washing machine drain that empties into the septic system? I didn’t know if the acidic nature of the condensation would have any negative effect on the septic system? The condensate drain currently exits through the basement wall, but come winter I am concerned about it possibly freezing up. (92+ furnace)

2. The line set and condensate drain line exit the basement through a PVC pipe in the cinderblock wall. They used plenty of silicone between the PVC and cinderblock, but where the line set goes through the PVC it is not sealed. Is this left unsealed for a reason? Would it hurt anything if I put a little spray foam insulation in there? Should I just leave it as is?

Thanks for the help.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by acobra289 View Post
    1. Would it hurt anything to have the condensate drain line empty into the washing machine drain that empties into the septic system?
    its not a good idea to connect any part of your HVAC system to any part of a sewage system!

Post Likes
    You would need a PH neutralizer added to your condensate system.

Post Likes

double post

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

the (CL) bleach from the washing machine should neutralize the (PH) acid

Post Likes
    I'll be safe and leave it as is. I don't want to screw up my septic system. They are even more expensive than HVAC equipment.

Post Likes
    So what prevents the drain from freezing in the winter?

Post Likes

So what prevents the drain from freezing in the winter?

make sure to run it totally downhill once its outside

or use pipe heat tape

Post Likes
    Why don't you leave it alone and don't worry about freezing a condensate line you describe. So what if some residual water freezes in the winter; it shouldn't cause any problem unless you have some nasty turns and the line is copper.
    When you need A/C in the summer I guarantee it will be defrosted.

Post Likes
    Its also for his Condensing Furnace.

Post Likes
    The condensate from my (new) system (heat and cool) is pumped from the basement, to a washtub in my first floor laundry room.

It is permitted by code since (1) there is an air break, and (2) the waste system is all PVC.

I plan to make a cannister, to be filled with marble chips (close to 100% Calcium Carbonate) through which the furnace condensate will drain (out of the bottom) and neutralize the acid.

AM

Post Likes
    Oh, I didn't notice.
    But with flow of condensate in winter no way could it freeze up anyway since it takes a lot of time to lose enough heat for freezing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    The condensate from my (new) system (heat and cool) is pumped from the basement, to a washtub in my first floor laundry room.

It is permitted by code since (1) there is an air break, and (2) the waste system is all PVC.

I plan to make a cannister, to be filled with marble chips (close to 100% Calcium Carbonate) through which the furnace condensate will drain (out of the bottom) and neutralize the acid.

AM
    Wow, What overkill for a simple problem unless you cant dump it outside.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sskzekeman View Post
    Wow, What overkill for a simple problem unless you cant dump it outside.
    Actually, the main reason that I had this done was that I wanted an easy way to monitor what my system is doing. In my former location, the a/c was piped outside. In my present home, the condensate was piped to a french drain in the basement, near the furnace.

It was difficult to get to and there was no way to measure how much condensate was being produced. Now, when I want to see what's going on, I place the outlet into a 2 quart vessel w/calibrations.

As far as the cannister, while not necessary, I thought it would be a good idea environmentally speaking.

AM
    Last edited by ampulman; 07-27-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: no additional info added

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sskzekeman View Post
    Oh, I didn't notice.
    But with flow of condensate in winter no way could it freeze up anyway since it takes a lot of time to lose enough heat for freezing.
    Doesn't take long to freeze up condensate.

Been to a few places that I had to thaw the frozen drain line to get the furnace to work again.

Post Likes
    when I use to install we would try and pump them in laundry tubs. If you have a good winter it will freeze up and then the pump will fill and whala no heat.

Post Likes
    Why can't the condensate be discharged into a sewer or septic system? The ph of the condenstae is 3.8 to 4.8 , which is close to that of an orange, which is 3.3 to 4.15. What harm is caused ?

Post Likes
    The average orange, doesn't contain 5 plus gallons of juice.

Some municipalities, require a neutralizer, some don't.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in