Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Gotta love that foam.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Maybe, with no windows!
    It doesn't require spray foam to hit 2,000 sq. ft. per ton. The windows do need to be shaded in the summer.

Sooo, I can do a 4000 sf home in Arizona with 2 tons?

I don't think so.

Foam Problems

No one in the foam business seems to want to answer what does happen when a roof leak occurs. Every sample of foam I've seen will not allow any water to pass through it. It also forms a very good bond to the roof decking and trusses...they push it as a hurricane resistant feature here in FL. One...roof leaks will occur...two, you'll never know it..until maybe you fall through a rotted deck or a rotted truss collapses. Any foam people want to engage in a discussion about this issue?

I Personlly live in a 12,220 sqft heated space with 5 Tons of Heat Pump do the math !

I don't think so.
    Lets do the math 12,200 sqft... 5 Tons of Heat Pumps that Wrightsoft came up with 58K BTUs In Georgia so I put it in. 2440 per TON....
    Average Total Electric Bill $190..........

I ran the loads...
    I sprayed the foam... I own the company
    I installed the HVAC.... I own that company

Is it legal to Gamble on this page???? I will bet anyone any amount, buy their plane ticket, pick them up and bring them here (must be large wager)

OK... GET YOU SOME OF THAT !!!!

I will have to answer you question with questions... Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by garymunson View Post
    No one in the foam business seems to want to answer what does happen when a roof leak occurs. Every sample of foam I've seen will not allow any water to pass through it. It also forms a very good bond to the roof decking and trusses...they push it as a hurricane resistant feature here in FL. One...roof leaks will occur...two, you'll never know it..until maybe you fall through a rotted deck or a rotted truss collapses. Any foam people want to engage in a discussion about this issue?
    How many roof leaks have you had... I am 48 and never had one???

If you had one dose it show up right at the leak, or dose it run down the decking or underlayment and show up at all?

Dose every leak end up in the home or on the drywall?

Do you not use an underlayment?

How often do you run around on your roof?

What do you consider is a leak? Every day the sun shines on a shingle it leaks moisture !!! Solar Driven Moisture happens everyday !!!!!

Do you know what has the biggest impact in the deterioration process?
    Extreme Temp Change and wet and drying out....
    Do you know this is in the extreme when you vent an attic????

If you foam the roof there is no way you would ever fall thru PERIOD !!!!

If your worried about a leak, take some of the thousands $$$ your saving on your power bill from the foamed roof and pay some one like me a few hundred $$$ and do a Infrared Inspection every year....

Dose this help???

I don't think so.
    4,000 sq. ft. of conditioned space in Fort Worth, Texas. At an official 101 degrees outside, 68 degrees dew point, my 2 ton heat pump cooled my house down to 70.3 degrees and my wife had to put a sweater on.

And, it doesn't require spray foam, ICFs, or SIPs to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny mac View Post

OK... GET YOU SOME OF THAT !!!!

That's really professional of you as you promote your business and your home to prospecting HO's.

If you have a good product wonderful.

Why not approach it like a teaching lesson instead of in your face exclamatory cluster of brags.

Foam is fairly new to most people.

Lets back up big john...

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    That's really professional of you as you promote your business and your home to prospecting HO's.

If you have a good product wonderful.

Why not approach it like a teaching lesson instead of in your face exclamatory cluster of brags.

Foam is fairly new to most people.
    I had to guys beating me up and dough ting performance...

Do some research on me..... you will see I am a teacher

Gota go Ill be back

On my personal home we had a plumbing leak that was found by my daughter and son in law. They noticed a dark spot on th garage floor (concrete). Turns out there was a plumbing leak and the water had leached through the foam from the laundry room above. Granted it had been leaking a while but it did show. Radiant barriers hender roof leak detection also.

My house's entire envelop is foamed. (2000) My personal experience with sprayed in place foam has been over the past 11 years. Retrofit and new construction.

It should not be an option, nor should it be codified, it should be the law. Like anything there is a learning curve and requires a commitment to the science.

KMac's statement of a 30% reduction (a/c only here) is a blanket statement that is structure depend. The foam gives you back the duct gain along with the gain of any knee wall exposure, skylight shafts and all attic exposed assemblies. The foam also reduces the infiltration which a blower door will confirm.

The foam has no effect on loads from internal sources, fenestations, or non foamed assemblies.

So would you reccomend foam+extra cellulose?

Quote Originally Posted by kenny mac View Post
    I had to guys beating me up and dough ting performance...

Do some research on me..... you will see I am a teacher

Gota go Ill be back
    You just don't know how poorly insulated my 15y/o house is.

leaks

I'd still be concerned about roof leaks. A plumbing leak is an entirely different animal....constant flow of water that will eventually show up somewhere. A leaky roof will provide a sporadic injection of water into the decking and trusses. As far a someone never having a roof leak...interesting how there seem to be a fair amount of people employed re-roofing structures. Of course if you move from new house to new house on a regular basis you may never experience one but here in Florida I have seen many roofs that looked fine leak badly. I'd feel better if the foam could somehow be applied above the actual roof structure as on commercial buildings with flat foam roof. In those cases, failure of the roof membrane is obvious.

roofs

Something else that came to mind is how much better roofing materials perform now. i remember back in the 60's, as shingles got older they'd get obviously curled. Shingles nowadays maintain their appearance much longer and most leaks probably start a a tiny crack in the material. Of course we use underlayment but the heat dries it out too regardless of whether you use 15lb, 30lb, or icedam. Eventually water will get through it long before the roof looks bad.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast