Thread: How will humidifier plenum hole downsize be done?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Question How will humidifier plenum hole downsize be done?

The wrong humidifier was installed on my system (heat pump & A/C). I have a horizontal furnace and a fan powered unit was installed. This was discovered thanks to the help on this forum. What should have been installed was bypass unit.

The fan unit has a 14.813" x 15.25" opening. The bypass unit has a 9.875" x 12.75" opening. Obviously, the hole in the plenum will need to be reduced to fit the bypass unit.

How should the HVAC technician reduce the size of the hole in plenum, which is a sheet metal box, and install the bypass unit? Will they be able to do it so that it does not leak? I am hoping that the entire supply plenum will not need to be replaced? What should I look for in the finished installation?

Thanks

Mike

Post Likes
    It shouldn't be that difficult. The tech can put a piece of panning across the old hole, And then cut the new hole into that

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by d_griff View Post
    It shouldn't be that difficult. The tech can put a piece of panning across the old hole, And then cut the new hole into that
    I am a little gun shy on the techs from this vendor. Had I not bought the unit from him initially I would probably use someone else.

Would the patch just be installed with some sheet metal screws? How would it be sealed around the edges?

I have found what appears to the the solution to my problem. I am seriously considering the Honeywell HM512VPIAQ as the replacement rather than the bypass unit. It requires an even smaller hole (1-3/4") and hopefully it will make it easier to patch. I just hope the vendor is up to the task.

Thanks for the response.

Mike

Post Likes
    Sounds like Mike cut the wrong size hole.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by troyorr View Post
    Sounds like Mike cut the wrong size hole.
    Actually a vendor installed a Carrier fan-powered humidifier on a horizontal plenum. Unfortunately, he did so without checking the specs closely enough to find out that it should not be installed. Hence, I have had blow back air coming out of the unit for the last 2 years. A post on this forum pointed out the problem.

Now I am trying to figure out the best solution for replacement.

Arggg...

Mike

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeV99 View Post
    I am a little gun shy on the techs from this vendor. Had I not bought the unit from him initially I would probably use someone else.

Would the patch just be installed with some sheet metal screws? How would it be sealed around the edges?

I have found what appears to the the solution to my problem. I am seriously considering the Honeywell HM512VPIAQ as the replacement rather than the bypass unit. It requires an even smaller hole (1-3/4") and hopefully it will make it easier to patch. I just hope the vendor is up to the task.

Thanks for the response.

Mike

Yes sheet metal (Zip) screws and some mastic and top off with some metal tape. I know some parts house carry flat metal, heck even Lowes carries small sheets that normally made for panning between joists still works good for a patch.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

Post Likes
    I'd hope he uses heavier guage stock then panning.

But, yes a piece of flat sheet meatal can be used.

You would probably be better off with a steamer instead of just a bypass.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaladin View Post
    Yes sheet metal (Zip) screws and some mastic and top off with some metal tape. I know some parts house carry flat metal, heck even Lowes carries small sheets that normally made for panning between joists still works good for a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I'd hope he uses heavier guage stock then panning. But, yes a piece of flat sheet meatal can be used. You would probably be better off with a steamer instead of just a bypass.
    Mastic and metal tape. That should do the job! Thanks all, it was exactly what I needed to know.

I am leaning toward the Honeywell HM512VPIAQ steam unit. It looks like it will just perfect for my situation.

Thanks

Mike

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in