Hybrid View

Repair or Replace Carrier Condenser?

Hello,

My Carrier condenser unit has stopped working. The inside circulation fan turns on, but the outside condenser unit only emits a vibrating sound from the control box. The vibration seems to be coming from either the right hand relay or what looks like a transformer on the right hand side.

The control box had a lot of ants in it and they had accumulated a lot of debris over most of the components and wiring. I'm wondering if this may have shorted somethings. We just got through a wet spell and the debris was probably damp.

The previous owner of the home seems to have had all improvements done "by the book". So I assume this is a well-matched system. But, I suspect the central air conditioning system is quite old. (I can't find any info on the web.)

Should I consider repairing the condenser or would it be wiser to update it to a more efficient unit? Is R-22 a problem?

Carrier
    Model: 38VE003300
    Amps: min 18.4 max 30
    Compressor: 203/230 v 1ph 60hz
    RLA: 14
    LRA:66
    Charge: R-22 8.5lbs
    Fan: 208/230 1ph 60hz

Thank you for your help,
    Wayne
    Last edited by va20080712; 07-12-2008 at 06:01 AM. Reason: add information

It could be something simple. Not being a Carrier guru, I have no idea what unit you have. My best advice to you is, call a service company, have a tech look at it and go from there. Trying to offer up an opinion on your post on the internet is kinda tough.

Yeh, what he said is right. Have it checked before replacing. It could be something simple and not quite as expensive as a new unit.

I've worked for a Carrier wholesaler for over 15 years and I don't have a record of a 38VE, but just from the format, this is from the 80's.....time for a replacement.