Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: am i missing something

Post Likes

am i missing something

have a 2.5 ton carrier condenser has cooled for 2 summers real good. the other day i noticed the air has lost its bite. put my gauges on it high side it is low 150 or so low side is high 80 the air off top of condenser is cool not warm or hot like it usally is.cap is dead on 45 mfd good connections everywhere. when unit is off they do eqalize. by the way unit is a piston not a txv.indoor coil is clean outdoor coil is clean. both fans run good. suction is cold at 80 but high side line is not warm . it is like the compressor has lost some of its balls to pump . when it starts the suction goes down real slows it use to be fast and if i add ref the low side goes up the high does not move. in my 10 short years of doing hvac i have not run into an inefficient compressor is this my first. they are usually dead or shorted . this is my home system this unit is 16 years old i got off a job 3 years ago i know it is time for a new one but this is got me stumped i do get some cooling out of it but not anywhere it was before it takes all day to go from 76 to 72 outdoor is only 80 or 85. it also is only drawing 10 amps should be 14. and yes my filter is good 85 percent of my service calls are dirty filters.when it was running good low side was 60 or 65 high was225 or 250

Post Likes
    85% of your calls are dirty filters. I wish I was that lucky, I get maybe 1 or 2 calls a month when that is the problem. I think you need to get somebody who knows what they are doing to look at it.

Post Likes
    what kind of furnace?
    hi-or -mid?

Post Likes
    no furnace just an attic air handler

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GREATONE View Post
    have a 2.5 ton carrier condenser has cooled for 2 summers real good. the other day i noticed the air has lost its bite. put my gauges on it high side it is low 150 or so low side is high 80 the air off top of condenser is cool not warm or hot like it usally is.cap is dead on 45 mfd good connections everywhere. when unit is off they do eqalize. by the way unit is a piston not a txv.indoor coil is clean outdoor coil is clean. both fans run good. suction is cold at 80 but high side line is not warm . it is like the compressor has lost some of its balls to pump . when it starts the suction goes down real slows it use to be fast and if i add ref the low side goes up the high does not move. in my 10 short years of doing hvac i have not run into an inefficient compressor is this my first. they are usually dead or shorted . this is my home system this unit is 16 years old i got off a job 3 years ago i know it is time for a new one but this is got me stumped i do get some cooling out of it but not anywhere it was before it takes all day to go from 76 to 72 outdoor is only 80 or 85. it also is only drawing 10 amps should be 14. and yes my filter is good 85 percent of my service calls are dirty filters.when it was running good low side was 60 or 65 high was225 or 250
    Yes............you are missing the problem

Post Likes
    i was joking about the 85 percent i have run into bad caps bad contactor coils bad compressors bad compressor fan motors . it was a joking lighten up i said that because i was wating for someonr to say have you checked your filter.

Post Likes
    can somebody answer a q without talking down to sombody no wonder i dont post a lot there are a lot of jerks on this site. i am not asking how to install somthing just a troubleshooting q

Post Likes
    Bad valves in the pumper

Post Likes
    Greatone...

you need a lot more information is what you need.

sounds like the valves might be going bad....but hard to tell with the little information you provided

And everyone here is a comedian....lighten up and take a joke. Its ok....
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    have a 2.5 ton carrier condenser has cooled for 2 summers real good. the other day i noticed the air has lost its bite. put my gauges on it high side it is low 150 or so low side is high 80 the air off top of condenser is cool not warm or hot like it usually is, cap is dead on @ 45 mfd good connections everywhere. when unit is off they do eqalize. by the way unit is a piston not a txv.

Indoor coil is clean outdoor coil is clean. both fans run good. suction is cold at 80 but high side line is not warm . it is like the compressor has lost some of its balls to pump . when it starts the suction goes down real slows it use to be fast and if i add ref the low side goes up the high does not move. in my 10 short years of doing hvac i have not run into an inefficient compressor is this my first. they are usually dead or shorted.

this is my home system this unit is 16 years old i got off a job 3 years ago i know it is time for a new one but this is got me stumped i do get some cooling out of it but not anywhere it was before it takes all day to go from 76 to 72 outdoor is only 80 or 85. it also is only drawing 10 amps should be 14. and yes my filter is good 85 percent of my service calls are dirty filters.when it was running good low side was 60 or 65 high was225 or 250
    It sounds like it could be that the piston metering device is NOT CLOSING or SEATING.

That will raise the suction & drop the head, & it will not cool worth a hoot.
    The compressor will sound somewhat different, & since it's not doing any work the amp draw will be low.

That condition does mimic bad compressor valves, but doubt they went, unless the E-Coil froze over lately or blower motor acted up, etc.

Take a light weight hammer or something & strike the piston housing to see if it causes it to seat. If not pump system down & examine the piston for something holding it off its seat. Just an experienced guess, it could be something else, but I'd look at the piston first.

The compressor may or may not be okay.
    - Darrell

Post Likes
    yea i know i need to lighten up my own girlfrend tells me that all the time . i mean i dont need to know the problem i am putting in the new condenser monday. but for my own benefit and future service calls i would like to know. have never run into this problem maybe because it is happing step by step in front of me i do not reconize the issue i am called in when they are usually dead.

Post Likes
    can somebody answer a q without talking down to sombody no wonder i dont post a lot there are a lot of jerks on this site. i am not asking how to install somthing just a troubleshooting q
    How was that talking down?You ask what am I missing and give crappy info so I said you missed the problem.Was I wrong?

Post Likes
    if it does not seat right i would assume ther would be to much ref flow no high side back pressure and too much low side presure like i have because i am nor resticting the freon. and yes the compressor sounds a tad differant

Post Likes
    sorry maybe i misunderstood you.

Post Likes
    if it is not the piston what would cause the valves to go age.

Post Likes
    your only changing out the condenser?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    your only changing out the condenser?
    I was thinking the same thing... Done with one set of problems, on to the next?

Post Likes
    The Air Handler Was Brand New 2 Years Ago I Was Just Using The Condenser Till It Died Did Not Have Money For New Condenser A Couple Years Back. Know The Whole Story Before You Make A Dumb Comment. I Will Be Putting In A Txv And A New Filter Dryer In Case You Wanted To Know.

Post Likes
    I Donted Know How To Check For Bad Valves Sorry. I Also Did Not Realize You Cant Ask Trobleshooting Q In This Part Of The Forum I Apologize To Everone I Will Apply For A Pro Membership. I See Everbody Point About Not Helping A Homeowner Or Diy.they Could Kill Themselves

Post Likes
    Mat want to double check what condenser that air handler will match to, if any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in