Newbie needs some advice ...

We live in Western, NY. Our 2 ton Lennox was installed in 1992 and has a leak in the coil. I just had the freon topped off, hopefully it'll last a year or two.

The old unit is 10.5 SEER. I see the latest units must be at least 13. We use the AC about 5 months/year. House is 2 levels, 1900 sq. feet.

What brands would you recommend, or stay away from? Amana, Lennox, Trane, etc.

Is a 2 ton unit too small for this house in the Western NY climate? I realize you can't inspect the house in detail from here. ;-)

In the past I've read good things about Amana and was happy with the last Amana we had at an older house. I think I want a scroll compressor? We plan to be in the house for a long time.

Which brands are just rebadged versions of other brands? Any other advice?

Thanks!!!! ;-)

Chris
    http://amateureconblog.********.com/

Talking

You will find that brands are a matter of opinion. What some love others hate, all for their own reasons and experiences. What most professionals will agree on is this: The INSTALL is the most critical consideration, over and above the Brand name.

As far as size, it,s impossible to tell without doing a heat load calculation. (See the link at the top of the page.) You could have two house with identical floorplans, and on different sides of the street, and that would change the heat load calculation. Not to mention the State that the house is located in.

So, to sum things up, have a reputable company do a heat load calculation (Manual J) and make sure the install is done according to manufacturer specifications. Many people try to cut corners and not follow the installation instructions. Best to ya.
    Hvac Maniac

"A negative attitude cancels out positive skills."

By the way... the link is the HVAC Calc for the heat load calculation. I own this program, and recommend it highly. Best to ya, again.
    Hvac Maniac

"A negative attitude cancels out positive skills."

What I have gleaned from these knowledgable

professionals is this:

UNO) Talk to family friends BBB about local HVAC companies

DOS) Make contact w/a few of the companies and get them to come out give you an estimate.

TRES) Make sure they do a Man. J on your home-insist on it.

Quatro) Read this board, ask questions in the interim (read the rules tho). EVeryone of these dudes are more than happy to answer questions from newbies, like myself

Cinco) Finding, buying and installing HVAC isn't like researching a car. We know (Lexus is great and French cars + VW suck-its demonstrable) Most HVAC are built alike, the big thing is finding a professional to install it.

Seis) Once you get your estimates, run it by these guys on here (dont' include any prices)

Seite) This equipment is gonna cost alot, so its important not to only consider initial price but long term relationship w/installer. The company that you feel the most comfortable with may not be the lowest price.

OCHO) Amana/Goodman (which I'm kinda considering has a nice warranty) but Trane/American STandard, Rheem (lotta ppl on the web says Rheems are very easy to work on and have rock solid, if not simple) Carrier/Bryant,York, even Lennox are all good brands-but they'll all blow if a hack installs them.

Nueve) good luck
    Last edited by RomulanSpy; 07-11-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by speedmaster View Post
    We live in Western, NY. Our 2 ton Lennox was installed in 1992 and has a leak in the coil. I just had the freon topped off, hopefully it'll last a year or two.

The old unit is 10.5 SEER. I see the latest units must be at least 13. We use the AC about 5 months/year. House is 2 levels, 1900 sq. feet.

Is a 2 ton unit too small for this house in the Western NY climate? I realize you can't inspect the house in detail from here. ;-)

In the past I've read good things about Amana and was happy with the last Amana we had at an older house. I think I want a scroll compressor? We plan to be in the house for a long time.

Thanks!!!! ;-)

Chris
    If a two ton was too smalll,you would know it,load calc is still a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by speedmaster View Post

Thanks!!!! ;-)

Chris
    If your 2 ton unit handles the load on the hottest day of the year and doesn't short cycle in temperate times you might want to use what you already know and go from there. Doing a heat load calculation is like doing your income taxes for the first time.

Most equipment is a combination of parts that are all made by the same companies. IE: Copeland compressors.
    Some advertise more than others.

If you get alot of airborn debris like cottonwood tree stuff or have pets that shed hair you might want to avoid spiney type coils and go with fins on the condenser. Also look for a cabinet that protects the fins from hail damage etc.

You can calculate your return on investment by using your kw per hour cost, estimating runtime per year and plugging in the various SEER values vs price to see the compared savings.

Make sure they install driers.

Make sure they pull a vacuum on the system piping and leave it standing for at least 30 minutes to verify the "leak" is gone.