Thread: Use existing lineset, coil with new R410 System?

Post Likes

Use existing lineset, coil with new R410 System?

Great forum! I'd like to tap into your expertise if I may.

I plan to replace my existing 3.5T R22 central AC system (14 years old and getting leaky). I'm tending toward an R410-based system (American Standard), but have the following questions:

1. I hear alot of talk about flushing lines, but can the inside coil also be flushed? My current coil is a replacement installed last spring, so it's only a year old. The fellow who quoted me the 410 system checked the coil and said it was rated for both R22 and R410. I'd like to use it, but am wary given the comments regarding incompatibility of oils, etc. I would guess that coils are more difficult to flush than lines.

2. Are linesets for R410 systems generally larger diameter than those for R22 systems? I understand the issues regarding flushing the lines, but I've also seen some comments about line sizes being different. If so that would be one reason to bite the bullet and get a new lineset.

Obviously, for cost reasons I'd like to use the existing lineset and coil. But I don't want to be causing myself problems down the road. Do you guys have any advice for me? Thanks.

Post Likes
    Some say it's o.k. to reuse the line set if properly flushed but dont reuse that coil. You want one that will be a perfect match for the new unit. Besides I have not heard of anyone on this site reusing an r22 coil for 410 whether it's approved for it or not.

Post Likes
    If the evap coil is 14 years old I would not reuse with R-410a. The increased pressue of R-410a could cause the coil to leak. Do the right thing, and replace the coil. Remember a 14 year old coil has 14 years of gunk built up in it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig725 View Post
    If the evap coil is 14 years old I would not reuse with R-410a. The increased pressue of R-410a could cause the coil to leak. Do the right thing, and replace the coil. Remember a 14 year old coil has 14 years of gunk built up in it.

You didnt read his post very well, he said the coil was replaced last spring with a 410 approved coil but I wouldnt use it after it has had 22 running through it.

I would rather have a fresh new matching coil that is perfectly matched up with the new c/u.

Post Likes
    It's like making orange juice out of a recently emptied apple juice container......you just don't do it......same thing with r-22 verses. r-410a..
    don't mix the two ever......the oils don't like each other....

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    It can be done,we have done the same on several,no issues.To be safer use a Flush Kit on the coil.

Should have said,if it's a matching system.
    Last edited by dash; 07-11-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Post Likes
    If the Lineset is of the correct size and the coil has the proper R410 TXV valve installed, and the coil is of the correct capacity, why not?

Post Likes
    I would want a matched system. If you have an A-S/Trane coil, then buy the A-S outdoor unit, put a R410a TXV on the coil and you'll be fine. If you have brand X coil, then buy the matching outdoor unit.

Post Likes
    If cost is the issue, get the highest S.E.E.R, matching R22 unit and ride it out until you change out everything. Although R22 will be phased out, there will still be parts available for quite some time. Mix and match systems may work, but how well and for how long. The cost of making an R410A condenser work with your existing indoor unit may be more than the savings in the long run.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
    You didnt read his post very well, he said the coil was replaced last spring with a 410 approved coil but I wouldnt use it after it has had 22 running through it.

I would rather have a fresh new matching coil that is perfectly matched up with the new c/u.
    Thanks for pointing that out..I guess I missed that part, I still would not use the coil. If you are concerned, you can request to keep it and sell it on ebay or something if you so desire.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DanceAlot View Post
    Great forum! I'd like to tap into your expertise if I may.

I plan to replace my existing 3.5T R22 central AC system (14 years old and getting leaky). I'm tending toward an R410-based system (American Standard), but have the following questions:

1. I hear alot of talk about flushing lines, but can the inside coil also be flushed? My current coil is a replacement installed last spring, so it's only a year old. The fellow who quoted me the 410 system checked the coil and said it was rated for both R22 and R410. I'd like to use it, but am wary given the comments regarding incompatibility of oils, etc. I would guess that coils are more difficult to flush than lines.

2. Are linesets for R410 systems generally larger diameter than those for R22 systems? I understand the issues regarding flushing the lines, but I've also seen some comments about line sizes being different. If so that would be one reason to bite the bullet and get a new lineset.

Obviously, for cost reasons I'd like to use the existing lineset and coil. But I don't want to be causing myself problems down the road. Do you guys have any advice for me? Thanks.

If you want 14 years out of your new system, you better bite the bullet and change the coil, lineset, and condenser!!!!

Post Likes
    If your condenser is 14 years old then it's probably a SEER 10 condenser. I'm surprised you were able to find a brand new SEER 10 evaporator when you replace it a year ago. If the technician gave you a new SEER 13 coil a year ago to use with your SEER 10 condenser then he wasn't doing you any favors. It's a wonder it would work properly at all. If indeed you did get a SEER 10 evaporator a year ago you will not be able to use it with a new condenser because the new condenser will be a minimum of SEER 13. But, if it is indeed a SEER 13 coil then you can change out the TXV or the restrictor and use it with R410A.
    For the cost of a coil though I'd change it out as well.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by diverdan View Post
    If your condenser is 14 years old then it's probably a SEER 10 condenser. I'm surprised you were able to find a brand new SEER 10 evaporator when you replace it a year ago. If the technician gave you a new SEER 13 coil a year ago to use with your SEER 10 condenser then he wasn't doing you any favors. It's a wonder it would work properly at all. If indeed you did get a SEER 10 evaporator a year ago you will not be able to use it with a new condenser because the new condenser will be a minimum of SEER 13. But, if it is indeed a SEER 13 coil then you can change out the TXV or the restrictor and use it with R410A.
    For the cost of a coil though I'd change it out as well.

Dude.... you can't buy a "new 14 year old" 10 SEER coil. A 13 SEER coil will work very well with a 10 SEER condenser. It will boost the overall efficiency of the unit to 11 or 11.5

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by superd77 View Post
    Dude.... you can't buy a "new 14 year old" 10 SEER coil. A 13 SEER coil will work very well with a 10 SEER condenser. It will boost the overall efficiency of the unit to 11 or 11.5
    You have 15.To the OP Change it all kick back have a beer and watch the installers work.

Post Likes
    Thank you for sharing that with me!
    It's contrary to what I've been told so thanks!! I've learned something on this forum and for that I am thankful.
    All my best,
    Daniel

Post Likes
    Thanks for the advice everybody. Consensus seems to be to bite the bullet and change out the coil. I didn't think of reselling it on e-Bay - thanks craig725 for suggesting that. It would make the bullet a bit easier to bite.

One more question: if I use the existing coils and the installer doesn't flush it out very well and I get some R22 in my R410 system, what happens? What can I expect to go wrong and when? I ask because he's offering 10 yr warrantee on compressor and 5yr parts&labor for the rest of the system (except existing coil).

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    R22 isn't the concern,mineral oil used with it,as opposed to POE oil with Puron/R410a is.

We don' have issues with doing it,warranty wise or other.

In our area it's heat pumps with air handlers so the cost to change the air handler is greater then just a coil.Either way it should be fine.

Plus side,new coil=new warranty.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in