Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bucks Co PA
    Posts
    367

    Carrier Edge Programmable T-stat

    I'm getting a complete new system, Carrier Infinity 2 stage 15/16 seer Heat pump with new oil furnace W/ VS blower and humidifier.

    Looks like the Infinity control will NOT work with the oil furnace. So, two contractors are suggesting the "Carrier Programmable Edge" T-stat, and a third is suggesting the "Honeywell Focus Pro" T-stat.

    The Edge, I hear, is brand new. Possible bug problems?

    Anyone familiar with the "Edge" T-stat?

    I'm not sure the Honeywell Focus Pro will be as versatile.
    .

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Huntingdon, Pa
    Posts
    2

    infinity vs edge thermostat control

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack2007 View Post
    I'm getting a complete new system, Carrier Infinity 2 stage 15/16 seer Heat pump with new oil furnace W/ VS blower and humidifier.

    Looks like the Infinity control will NOT work with the oil furnace. So, two contractors are suggesting the "Carrier Programmable Edge" T-stat, and a third is suggesting the "Honeywell Focus Pro" T-stat.

    The Edge, I hear, is brand new. Possible bug problems?

    Anyone familiar with the "Edge" T-stat?

    I'm not sure the Honeywell Focus Pro will be as versatile.
    .
    I just had a similar system installed. So far the Edge control seems nice. Easy to see and make changes. After 2 weeks of operation no problems but that is way too soon to tell. Keep in touch as time goes on as to how the carrier system works for you. The infinity 16 heat pump (2 stage- piston deign) operates using either analog or digital cotrols but the infinity 19 only works with digital control (Infinity control) Their oil furnace only has analog capability so it cannot run using the infinity control unless you want to use the oil furnace in emergency mode with a second thermostat I guess. This restricts selection with a Carrier oil furnace to using the infinity 16 heat pump and the Edge (analog) thermostat. Calling carrier for this info was hopeless but the local Carrier tech rep was able to tell me this. I assume it is correct. Carrier does not seem to good at technical support to the home owner via the on line contact phone number. I am very disappointed in this. I bought the carrier variable speed 58VMR oil furnace (with Riello burner-which had a cracked pump (to be replaced), an infinity air purifier, a carrier humidifier, an HRV ventilator, Infinity 16 (25HNA) 3 ton Heat pump (Wanted the bigger pump for the heating season Goes to 0 degrees F in Rittsburgh Pa area winters although not really needed for cooling- typically runs on the single piston at 1.5 ton stage). Hoped to get into the new scroll heat pump design for efficiency but could not do it in the infinity series due to controller conflicts with the oil furnace. Went oil rather than electric since I currently have about 1200 gallons of heating oil on hand. Bought a fillup in march due to fear of oil price increases to come. Oil was $3.34 then and although electric is about 7.5 cents a KWH, thats a lot of oil with a heat pump supplement.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bucks Co PA
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post
    I just had a similar system installed. So far the Edge control seems nice. Easy to see and make changes. After 2 weeks of operation no problems but that is way too soon to tell. Keep in touch as time goes on as to how the carrier system works for you. The infinity 16 heat pump (2 stage- piston deign) operates using either analog or digital cotrols but the infinity 19 only works with digital control (Infinity control) Their oil furnace only has analog capability so it cannot run using the infinity control unless you want to use the oil furnace in emergency mode with a second thermostat I guess. This restricts selection with a Carrier oil furnace to using the infinity 16 heat pump and the Edge (analog) thermostat. Calling carrier for this info was hopeless but the local Carrier tech rep was able to tell me this. I assume it is correct. Carrier does not seem to good at technical support to the home owner via the on line contact phone number. I am very disappointed in this. I bought the carrier variable speed 58VMR oil furnace (with Riello burner-which had a cracked pump (to be replaced), an infinity air purifier, a carrier humidifier, an HRV ventilator, Infinity 16 (25HNA) 3 ton Heat pump (Wanted the bigger pump for the heating season Goes to 0 degrees F in Rittsburgh Pa area winters although not really needed for cooling- typically runs on the single piston at 1.5 ton stage). Hoped to get into the new scroll heat pump design for efficiency but could not do it in the infinity series due to controller conflicts with the oil furnace. Went oil rather than electric since I currently have about 1200 gallons of heating oil on hand. Bought a fillup in march due to fear of oil price increases to come. Oil was $3.34 then and although electric is about 7.5 cents a KWH, thats a lot of oil with a heat pump supplement.
    I also wanted the scroll, but I have read the piston heat pump has better humidity control. That is something that is a major consideration for me, in addition to the t-stat situation for oil furnace.

    7.5 cents/kwh ? Is that generation only?
    I took my entire bill (including taxes) and divided by kwh total. I come up with 16 cents/kwh.

    The so called "transition charge" is, in my mind, a bogus extra charge to help the electric company.

    My oil heat company gave me an estimate but did not want to put in the "edge", they said there were bugs in this t-stat. I suspect they are not up on the latest technology.

    The "heatpumpguru" on here gave me a referral, with whom I am going, for my system. I've learned a lot on this forum and has helped me decide on the above system.
    .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Davie, FL
    Posts
    211
    We install edge t-stats pretty regularly I'd have to say there great. Just about the easiest thing to program or the programing can even be shut off. I have one installed on my home A/C as well. It even comes in 7 colors!

    http://www.residential.carrier.com/k...ge/index.shtml

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bucks Co PA
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by -459FZPE View Post
    We install edge t-stats pretty regularly I'd have to say there great. Just about the easiest thing to program or the programing can even be shut off. I have one installed on my home A/C as well. It even comes in 7 colors!

    http://www.residential.carrier.com/k...ge/index.shtml
    Do you think there is any advantage in getting the "data port w/memory" for using a computer to program?
    .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Davie, FL
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack2007 View Post
    Do you think there is any advantage in getting the "data port w/memory" for using a computer to program?
    .
    The thing is so easy to program, I don't really see any advantage in it. I believe they all have the data port on them though if I'm not mistaken.

    Also, If you were to get a 10/10/10 Warranty with your system the Stat should be covered under it so if you ever had a problem or "bug" with it, it would be replaced free of charge courtesy of Carrier

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    PA/DE area
    Posts
    1,535
    25HNA9 will not work with the oil anyway,EDGE is nice and they do not make the THERMIDISTAT anymore and oil cannot use INFINITY control.Call PECO and make sure you tell them "I heat my home with a heat pump"if you say oil they get messed up and then you will want to kill someone.The PHILADELPHIA Electric ASSOC. has the steps on their website.Dave should have or I can fax it to you. Great guys up there and you will be happy.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    2,246
    There are 2 different edge thermostats. 1 is thermidistat and 2 stage. The other is 1 stage and no humidity,They have been arround for over a year and have already made 1 change. So everything should be good now.
    Do it right the first time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    33
    I work for a carrier dealer, and we had a promo edge t-stat that the owner put in his house, didn't like it, so he gave it to me. I put it in my house and loved it for a few days until the back light started flickering, like it was shorting out, or had a bad connection. I gave it to another tech who installed it and had the same problem. Maybe it was just that one, but I already don't really care for it. It does look good though.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    2,246

    They fixed that problem

    Quote Originally Posted by cnpro18 View Post
    I work for a carrier dealer, and we had a promo edge t-stat that the owner put in his house, didn't like it, so he gave it to me. I put it in my house and loved it for a few days until the back light started flickering, like it was shorting out, or had a bad connection. I gave it to another tech who installed it and had the same problem. Maybe it was just that one, but I already don't really care for it. It does look good though.
    They made the conector at the back stronger. You must have had it in the disco mode for light to flicker.
    Do it right the first time.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Huntingdon, Pa
    Posts
    2

    electric rates

    My June bill was $198.99 (Total, out the door including all the surcharges and taxes) and covered use of 2637 KWH which calculates to a rate of 7.546 cents / KWH . Averaging the last 5 months use and cost it comes out to 7.54cents a kwh. Before that it was 6.9 cents (again, all inclusive). Power company is Allegheny power in Westmoreland county Pa just east of Pittsburgh pa. Duquesne light power company, closer to Pittsburgh, is higher on their rates.
    Right now so far, my basement is running at close to 70 degrees with the first (only) floor running at 75 degres and no registers open in the basement. I have no open vents in the basement but ducts are not insulated. I wil need to get a handle on this and try to lower the cooling in the basement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack2007 View Post
    I also wanted the scroll, but I have read the piston heat pump has better humidity control. That is something that is a major consideration for me, in addition to the t-stat situation for oil furnace.

    7.5 cents/kwh ? Is that generation only?
    I took my entire bill (including taxes) and divided by kwh total. I come up with 16 cents/kwh.

    The so called "transition charge" is, in my mind, a bogus extra charge to help the electric company.

    My oil heat company gave me an estimate but did not want to put in the "edge", they said there were bugs in this t-stat. I suspect they are not up on the latest technology.

    The "heatpumpguru" on here gave me a referral, with whom I am going, for my system. I've learned a lot on this forum and has helped me decide on the above system.
    .

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bucks Co PA
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by heatpumpguru View Post
    25HNA9 will not work with the oil anyway,EDGE is nice and they do not make the THERMIDISTAT anymore and oil cannot use INFINITY control.Call PECO and make sure you tell them "I heat my home with a heat pump"if you say oil they get messed up and then you will want to kill someone.The PHILADELPHIA Electric ASSOC. has the steps on their website.Dave should have or I can fax it to you. Great guys up there and you will be happy.
    Mark is the guy I've been talking with and he did give me "the steps" to get the rate for heat pump. Peco is such a bureaucracy.
    .

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    PA/DE area
    Posts
    1,535
    Yes, they stink and we had our chance and we blew it,I sold my company to Conectiv and they are now gone.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event