Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by m-cooling View Post
    on the radio Friday they were talking about whats the difference in a baby back and just regular ribs.

Best somebody came up with is baby back ribs are from a smaller pig.

teenage pig if you will.

Is that right?
    Baby backs are a different cut of meat from the pig.

From Wikipedia:

"Baby back ribs

Baby back ribs, sometimes called loin ribs or simply back ribs, are taken from the top of the rib cage between the spine and the spareribs, below the loin muscle. They have meat between the bones and are shorter but meatier than spareribs. The rack is shorter at one end, due to the natural tapering of a pig's rib cage. The shortest bones are typically only about 3" (7.6 cm) and the longest is usually about 6" (15.2 cm), depending on the size of the hog. Whilst a pig has 15 ribs, a rack of baby back ribs contains a minimum of 8 ribs but can include up to 15 ribs depending on how it has been prepared by the butcher."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_ribs

ok... this looks like a good method. just purchased a rack of ribs last night to try this out... thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    I always remove the membrane. One tip is if you can't get a grip is to use a paper towel to grip it and once it's started it will pull right off.

I'll tell you a no fail way to grill them and they will turn out great everytime.

1. Pull the membrane off.
    2. Cut each slab in 1/2.
    3. Season them with your favorite rub.
    4. Double wrap each one with heavy duty Wrenolds brand wrap.
    5. Refrigerate for a few hours to overnight.
    6. Set them out about a 1/2 hour before grilling.
    7. Get the grill hot then turn to medium "250º - 300º".
    8. Place the ribs on the grill and forget them for about 25 minutes and then turn.
    9. Forget them again for about 20 - 25 more minutes.
    10. Remove them from the grill and one by one unwrap and put them back on the grill.
    11. Now just grill them untill they look the way you want them and if you want them wet you can baste them with sauce at this time also.

I've been doing ribs this way for many years and have never had a bad batch.

You can also make excellent ribs in the oven (if its winter time, or you don't want to stand by the grill for several hours).

Prepare them how you like.
    Place ribs in Pyrex pan.
    Add a little water for steaming.
    Cover in aluminum foil.
    Bake on 230F for 3 hours (depending on amount of ribs).

You can "finish" them on the grill if you'd like.

I made them this way yesterday.

Ummmm.

I was watching the Memphis cook off and the membrane was a big deal. The judges didn't say what was right but they asked the contestants why they took it off or why they left it on. I guess it was part of the judging.
    Some called it candy.
    I kinda like it.
    Tracers work both ways.

does anyone know how cook off contestants cook their ribs?

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I was watching the Memphis cook off and the membrane was a big deal. The judges didn't say what was right but they asked the contestants why they took it off or why they left it on. I guess it was part of the judging.
    Some called it candy.
    I kinda like it.

Quote Originally Posted by cy View Post

I was at a party one hunting season. The Vermont State BBQ champion was doing the cooking. He said he came in like 35 in the Nationals.

This guy was so fanatical I couldn't imagine what the winner of the Nationals are like.

They all have there secret sauces. His has maple syrup in it of course and a bunch of other things. He had his own crew (friends) who traveled with him.
    He had everthing prepared the night before. He got the crew up at 5 AM and we never eat the ribs until 4 PM.

That 30 second sound bite you see on the Travel Channel doesn't tell a fraction of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by cy View Post
    BBQ USA by Steven Raichlen, Workman Publishing 771 pages tell a lot of secrets and methods. Lots of recipes. His Memphis rub is real good.

I watched one contest where that Morning Show weather guy entered. Only problem for me was he had this monster machine. A factory built stainless steel contraption that automatically fed some kind of pellets and swung the food around inside.
    I thought this isn't right. If all it takes to win is a big expensive machine then what's the point.
    He didn't win. Goody me thinks.

The most inventive cooker I saw at our 4th parade. It was made to look like a tractor. Little front wheels, big back wheels, For smoking he stoked what looked like a tractor transmission in the rear and of course he cooked the Q under the hood. Really different. Headlights and all.
    Tracers work both ways.

I’m a big fan of ‘low and slow’ I take the membrane, rub them with olive oil first and the dry rub after, put them overnight in the fridge, the next day I take them out couple of hours before cooling time, I heat up the grill to 275F and place the ribs wrapped in aluminum foil leaving the upper side partially open, I use charcoal and apple chips to give them a mild wood flavor, I cook them up for about 5 hours squirting them every half hour with trigger bottle loaded with apple juice and a bit of white vinegar, after 5 hours at 275-250F I remove the wrapper and leave the on the grill right on top of the charcoal until they turn dark brown, those fall off the bone.

The Son's party was a great success!

I used matts procedure and Key's suggestion of pouring a little beer in the aluminum foil before putting them in the frigde over night.

To removed the membrane I used the needle nose on my Leatherman and it ripped right off.

For the dry rub I used Paul Perdonnes' Meat Magic. About 5 mins before I took them off I smeared a little of Dikca's BBQ sauce. Everyone seemed to like them. I even liked them and I ain't big on ribs.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm MR. RIB GUY now.

Glad it went well ! will try to get by a place that has a great dry rub for ribs and most all pork and bring it out west for ya. See you in a few weeks
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    I smeared a little of Dikca's BBQ sauce.
    Glad they worked out for ya.

I just bought a bottle of Ditka's sauce. How is it ??

Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    Glad they worked out for ya.

I just bought a bottle of Ditka's sauce. How is it ??
    Ditka's sauce was pretty good. Just the right bite to it that didn't over power the meat.

Around here everyone slops that KC masterpiece on the ribs. It is sweet tasting. Then you feel like you are a piece of fly-paper after you eat a rib. Maybe that's why I was never a big fan of ribs.

On the ribs I just cooked I just put on maybe a teaspoon and spead it thin. I just wanted to flavor it not drown it. I figured if anyone wanted more sauce they could put it on themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12