Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby back ribs ????

My son asked me to cook up 4 racks of baby back ribs for a party he is having next weekend.

I got a deal on some nice ones. I am not a great lover of ribs so I don't ever remember cooking them.

But I have been around you guys long enough to know that I have to cook them long and slow in most smoke.

My question is about the membane on the back of the ribs. I know it has to be removed. But when and how is it removed? Before, after or during cooking? What is a good way to do it without destroying any meat??

I for one leave the membrane on. But I cook them slow on the gas grill with the heat turned down as low as it will go. I do cut the slab in half though. Then turn the ribs every 5 min or so. I cut the slabs in half then cut a slit between the bone. After about 15 min in the cooking , I start basting them with honey and Teq. mixed with a sqeeze of lime juice. Cheap booze is fine. Just have plenty of beer to be had when doing them It takes about 45 min. to do a slab of em. Have fun...
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

I remove the membrane before cooking the ribs. It's fairly easy to do and once you get the hang of it you can be done fairly quickly.

The reason I pull the membrane out is to put my dry rub on both sides of the meat. I usually do the rub the day before that way it can penetrate the ribs and you can get more of the flavor. When removing the membrane I start from the smaller side of the ribs and I am able to find enough of the membrane to start pulling it. If I do it from the larger part of the meat I have a lot of trouble. Use a small pairing knife if you need some help.

If you are not planning on doing a dry rub, you are fine with leaving the membrane on.

Have fun

I pull it off before cooking and then marinate overnight in salt water! 1lb. meat gets 1/2 cup salt and enough water to cover.

Barrie

I always remove the membrane. One tip is if you can't get a grip is to use a paper towel to grip it and once it's started it will pull right off.

I'll tell you a no fail way to grill them and they will turn out great everytime.

1. Pull the membrane off.
    2. Cut each slab in 1/2.
    3. Season them with your favorite rub.
    4. Double wrap each one with heavy duty Wrenolds brand wrap.
    5. Refrigerate for a few hours to overnight.
    6. Set them out about a 1/2 hour before grilling.
    7. Get the grill hot then turn to medium "250Ί - 300Ί".
    8. Place the ribs on the grill and forget them for about 25 minutes and then turn.
    9. Forget them again for about 20 - 25 more minutes.
    10. Remove them from the grill and one by one unwrap and put them back on the grill.
    11. Now just grill them untill they look the way you want them and if you want them wet you can baste them with sauce at this time also.

I've been doing ribs this way for many years and have never had a bad batch.

These weres just put back on the grill and sauced up.

Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    I always remove the membrane. One tip is if you can't get a grip is to use a paper towel to grip it and once it's started it will pull right off.

I'll tell you a no fail way to grill them and they will turn out great everytime.

1. Pull the membrane off.
    2. Cut each slab in 1/2.
    3. Season them with your favorite rub.
    4. Double wrap each one with heavy duty Wrenolds brand wrap.
    5. Refrigerate for a few hours to overnight.
    6. Set them out about a 1/2 hour before grilling.
    7. Get the grill hot then turn to medium "250Ί - 300Ί".
    8. Place the ribs on the grill and forget them for about 25 minutes and then turn.
    9. Forget them again for about 20 - 25 more minutes.
    10. Remove them from the grill and one by one unwrap and put them back on the grill.
    11. Now just grill them untill they look the way you want them and if you want them wet you can baste them with sauce at this time also.

I've been doing ribs this way for many years and have never had a bad batch.

These weres just put back on the grill and sauced up.

Everything looks good except for the longhorn coffee cup

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    Everything looks good except for the longhorn coffee cup

They look great Matt. And thanks to you other guys.

Matt if I UPS my ribs to you do you think you can Fedex them back to me by next Sat.???

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    They look great Matt. And thanks to you other guys.

Matt if I UPS my ribs to you do you think you can Fedex them back to me by next Sat.???
    Sure will.

They're as easy as it sounds.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    Matt: I have been doing ribs tha way for years....I put a little bit of beer in the foil to help steam and soften the meat.
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

Quote Originally Posted by key View Post
    Matt: I have been doing ribs tha way for years....I put a little bit of beer in the foil to help steam and soften the meat.
    Never thought of that. Hmmm... I may have to get some ribs.

on the radio Friday they were talking about whats the difference in a baby back and just regular ribs.

Best somebody came up with is baby back ribs are from a smaller pig.

teenage pig if you will.

Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by m-cooling View Post
    on the radio Friday they were talking about whats the difference in a baby back and just regular ribs.

Best somebody came up with is baby back ribs are from a smaller pig.

teenage pig if you will.

Is that right?
    I'm not an expert but I just got done shopping for them. The baby back ribs that I bought were about 1/3 smaller than what was labled "Ribs". There was considerable less amount of fat on the babies and had a pinker color.

Just sitting in the case the baby backs looked more appetizing then the regular ribs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast