Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by acobra289 View Post
    I am concerned about this, but I can't think of anywhere to vent the dryer. I suppose I could move the vent over to the other side of the window, but that would only be moving it like 18 inches. Doubt that would be worth the trouble. I am open to suggestions on this problem.

The dryer vent could be a tough one. It looks like that side of the house is already pretty busy. Without seeing a larger view of the outside or the inside and type of construction, it would be nearly impossible to find a better location, especially over the internet. As you already know, moving it to the other side of that window wouldn't make any difference. The reason most all of us mentioned the dryer vent is that in this business, dryer vents are the number one no-no to have near a condenser. The lint screen in your dryer only catches the big stuff and most everything else will get blown out. Having another appliance that specifically needs to draw in large quantities of clean air positioned right near the dryer discharge is bad because the lint will stick to the condensing coil while the unit runs. (I think you said yours is a heat pump, so this will be year round) This lint blocking the air thru the coil will cause the efficiency to go down a couple of different ways. Your indoor temps will take longer achieve the set temp on the t-stat, meaning longer run times, and the compressor inside the unit will be running with a higher head pressure, meaning more current drawn, the result is higher than necessary electric bills. Not to mention shortening the equipment life by years.

This will be up to the inspector. If he fails it, the disconnect will need to be moved.

One thing to keep in mind is that inspectors aren't the 'know-all, end-all' to all the world's issues. This disconnect is a hazard to any person that needs to use it to power down this unit for service. Find the other threads floating around the general area regarding technicians losing they're lives from electrical problems on service calls. It's a very real problem and ultimately, whether the inspector says anything of not, you should, in my opinion anyway, get the disconnect moved. It's worth the piece of mind and it's the right thing to do.

Same thing as the disconnect, if it fails it will need to be moved. Not sure what you mean by "second stage reg", is that the vent to the outside?

Assuming the vent needs to be moved, what are the codes? Are they limited to how many feet the run can be? How many 45s or 90s are allowed? What is the required rise? I'm just trying to get an idea on where it would need to be moved to.

This one wasn't really geared towards you as much as the other guys reading this thread. It's in regard to the existing 'second stage propane regulator' that is installed within inches of the condenser, (and dryer vent for that matter). Gas code here in CT states specific distances for mounting regulators from various things like sources of ignition, like the condenser, and windows and doors, etc. I just happened to notice in the pic how that regulator is right in the middle of the mix and how, in my area, an inspector would administer an immediate colonoscopy to the person that put it there. NFPA58 doesn't like regs too close to things because if something fails internal to the reg, it may release gas from the vent into the surrounding area. If the gas venting is great enough, it could be ignited by things like the electrical contactor inside the condensers electrical panel. Needless to say, nobody would ever wish this to happen, but wishes don't save lives, prudent measures do. The vent is threaded 3/4" NPT and designed to be piped away in situations like this. It could be piped with 3/4"PVC for a few bucks in parts, and it would solve a particular hazard.

All in all, your install isn't that bad. If I had to give it a 1-5 score, I'd say 3.75. The things we all have mentioned here are relatively easy fixes and would insure a long and happy life for your new stuff.

Thanks.

So are we there yet? I would had hired all the critics here and you would have had the perfect a/c and heating system installation.

Or this guy below would have done you a mighty fine job also:

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    So are we there yet? I would had hired all the critics here and you would have had the perfect a/c and heating system installation.

Or this guy below would have done you a mighty fine job also:

The flue is not above the roof line.
    The electrical tower in not wired so rain will run off the power lines.
    The tin man on the back porch is not grounded.
    The driver has a short from r to c.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Quote Originally Posted by badboyheel View Post
    ughhhhhhhhhh........i haven't been coming here a long time but one thing is for sure.....i can't stand these type of threads.........just a bunch of desk jockeys killing some guys work....some may enjoy making themselves feel better by picking apart some other guys work apart.....constructive criticism i can see but nit picking it to death when the customer has no complaints is a waste of time IMHO.

You must do similar work.Bad is bad and an opinion was asked for
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Gasolair, thanks for the very detailed response. You are correct about that side of the house being busy. There are 2 windows, a door, a screened in porch and the regulator for the propane. That doesn't leave a lot of room to move things around.

I could move the dryer vent further away, but I would have to go through the brick. I don't know if I feel comfortable doing that myself.

Thanks again.

Gasolair, thanks for the very detailed response. You are correct about that side of the house being busy. There are 2 windows, a door, a screened in porch and the regulator for the propane. That doesn't leave a lot of room to move things around.

I could move the dryer vent further away, but I would have to go through the brick. I don't know if I feel comfortable doing that myself.

Thanks again.

for some reason i am beginning to think that you ...yourself did this job.....
    am i wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by wpg_hvac-r_redseal_ View Post
    for some reason i am beginning to think that you ...yourself did this job.....
    am i wrong?
    You are very wrong. I am fairly handy when it comes to DIY, but I wouldn't have a freakin clue where to begin on a HVAC install.

The reason I mentioned moving the dryer vent myself is that I don't see why the HVAC company would be responsible for moving something like that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you look on the return duct in the front you will see the name of the company on the folder that has the paper work.

Hell, I wish I had did it. I could have probably saved a lot of money.

You are very wrong. I am fairly handy when it comes to DIY, but I wouldn't have a freakin clue where to begin on a HVAC install.

The reason I mentioned moving the dryer vent myself is that I don't see why the HVAC company would be responsible for moving something like that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you look on the return duct in the front you will see the name of the company on the folder that has the paper work.

Hell, I wish I had did it. I could have probably saved a lot of money.
    A reputable company, if need be, would factor in moving the dryer vent as part of the job.

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    A reputable company, if need be, would factor in moving the dryer vent as part of the job.
    exactly......

Quote Originally Posted by wpg_hvac-r_redseal_ View Post
    exactly......
    Still not a DIY job.

Man just when I was thinking I was getting to be a reputable company, O well thank God I have some room to still grow and learn.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

That's a mighty bold statment.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    That's a mighty bold statment.
    In what way???? Ok, fine, a change order then. The bottom-line is that it would be much easier to move the dryer vent than the condensor.

I would've seen these things before installing anything to begin with.

It's not complicated.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast