Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    The trap won't always have water in it. In the winter the A/C condensate drain won't.

But by the time it dries out, the furnace condensate trap will be full.

The A/C trap will always have a positive pressure when the blower motor is running.

Most manufacturers approve that drain set up.

If you plan for the 1 in a million on every install. Then no one will be able to afford to have anything installed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by DPSwitch View Post
    I would just suggest to the OP that what you are witnessing in this thread is how we collectively push each other to a higher level in what we do. There isn't quite as much malice here as it might seem. This is what we do, then we all come out of the woodwork to try to help each other in a bind... I see it over and over.
    True story man. I've always kept the mindset while working that someone's around ready to critique everything I do. As time goes on, I notice myself trying to make every job a little better than the last one. Appearance isn't hard to accomplish and little things like level piping and neat wiring go a long way to the untrained eye. (Meaning the customer, aka, the one paying the bill.) It's your self respect and integrity that will lead you to perform the important (technical) parts of the install. The customer only see's two things, the finished work, and the bill.

Don't know of any other way to explain this; that mechanically connection of the two circuits together -- the burner/flue circuit and the air supplied to the interior of the residence -- is not a good thing in any form.

Price is not an issue cause seperating now or installing originally, the two circuits would take a matter of minutes and dollars.

Appreciate the input though.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

I'm not saying that seperate connections wouldn't be better.
    But what was installed is an approved method.
    Contractor locator map

My big beef is the dryer vent. Those spine fins are a real pita to clean when they're jammed up nice with lint. The dryer vent is alot easier to move than the cond is.

Smaller beef. It would have been just as easy to drop TWO cond drains into the pump.

Medium sized beef with the disconnect. Especially if I have to risk closing a circuit with my elbow or forearm between the disconn and the grounded condenser. (At least I hope it's grounded, no joking there)

Finally, big red tag beef. How's that second stage reg doing. the vent should be 10 FEET away from the cond, not 10 inches. Big time fail around here.

Here its 36" for the reg/vent.

A torch makes short work of lint with those spiney fins.
    Contractor locator map

Here, it's 36" to a window/door, and 10' to a source of ignition.

On edit: BUT, lol, you can slap a ss reg on the side of a 400kBtu pool heater ( 18" away from 600deg exhaust), and nobody will say boo. go figure.

I've used the torch on spines plugged with cottonwood, but never wanted to try it on lint figuring it would melt and stick to the coil even worse. I'll have to give it a go next spine cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by gasoilair View Post
    My big beef is the dryer vent. Those spine fins are a real pita to clean when they're jammed up nice with lint. The dryer vent is alot easier to move than the cond is.
    I am concerned about this, but I can't think of anywhere to vent the dryer. I suppose I could move the vent over to the other side of the window, but that would only be moving it like 18 inches. Doubt that would be worth the trouble. I am open to suggestions on this problem.

Medium sized beef with the disconnect. Especially if I have to risk closing a circuit with my elbow or forearm between the disconn and the grounded condenser. (At least I hope it's grounded, no joking there)
    This will be up to the inspector. If he fails it, the disconnect will need to be moved.

Finally, big red tag beef. How's that second stage reg doing. the vent should be 10 FEET away from the cond, not 10 inches. Big time fail around here.
    Same thing as the disconnect, if it fails it will need to be moved. Not sure what you mean by "second stage reg", is that the vent to the outside?

Assuming the vent needs to be moved, what are the codes? Are they limited to how many feet the run can be? How many 45s or 90s are allowed? What is the required rise? I'm just trying to get an idea on where it would need to be moved to.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by acobra289 View Post
    Assuming the vent needs to be moved, what are the codes? Are they limited to how many feet the run can be? How many 45s or 90s are allowed? What is the required rise? I'm just trying to get an idea on where it would need to be moved to.

Thanks.
    If you have the installation guide that the unit came with...... all those clearances are in there.

it looks like there are a few issues as mentioned already the disconnect could cause a turn down on inspection i cant commet on the furnace drain because here in south Texas 90% furnaces are very rare, but over all nice install and very nice equipment you should notice a nice savings on you utility bill ,one other thing if you did noy get the 10 parts and labor warranty i would

Quote Originally Posted by DPSwitch View Post
    If you have the installation guide that the unit came with...... all those clearances are in there.
    The left a bunch of paperwork with me. I'll look through it to see if I have the install guide.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    it looks like there are a few issues as mentioned already the disconnect could cause a turn down on inspection i cant comment on the furnace drain because here in south Texas 90% furnaces are very rare, but over all nice install and very nice equipment you should notice a nice savings on you utility bill ,one other thing if you did noy get the 10 parts and labor warranty i would
    I went with the 90% because I was told the 80% would have to be vented differently. And the cost to vent the 80 would push it close to the 90 so I might as well get the 90. I am hoping to save a least 50 bucks per month during cooling season. My old AC unit was probably about a negative 2 seer. lol Yes, I got the 10 year P&L warranty. That was very important to me.

Twilli says you could have saved money and reused the ultra vent
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says you could have saved money and reused the ultra vent
    I wanted to just hook a garden hose to it and let it vent under the garage door. But they wouldn't do it.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast