Aquarium Chiller

I hope this is the right place to post this thread.

I recently purchased a used Aquarium Chiller.
    It is an inline Aqua-Logic DS-3 1/4hp model.

It didn't perform when I used it the first time, so I found a refrigeration repair shop and took it in. They recharged the coolant and gave it back.

It ran fine for about a week, but then took a dump. I took it in again, and apparently it was low on coolant again.

They charged it full of Nitrogen (250psi) and let it sit 24hrs. The pressure did not drop, and his detection meters didnt pick up any leaks.

So now he is telling me there is no leaks, when obviously there is some sort of leak. I asked if maybe it was a leak that would only show when you run the unit, and he said that wasn't possible.

His solution is to charge it up with more freon and try it again....I dont find that very agreeable because the outcome is likely to be the same, and thats 90 bux down the toilet.

They are super busy over there with commercial accounts, and Im afraid they don't have the time to spend on troubleshooting.

I am hoping one or more of you kind folks can offer some guidance so I can maybe inspire them a little with some possible solutions.

Thanks!

Tell him to use a micron gauge to pull a deep vacuum to at least 400 microns. That will prove if there is a leak or not. As this cannot be accomplished if their is a leak. Good luck

Is this the unit with the PVC chiller barrel ?

If so; every one I have found leaking - it was in the chiller barrel tubing. It should be stainless - but it's not. <g>
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

titanium

if its salt water i should be titanium or plastic or it will leak not later but sooner. jbb

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt3677 View Post
    Tell him to use a micron gauge to pull a deep vacuum to at least 400 microns. That will prove if there is a leak or not. As this cannot be accomplished if their is a leak. Good luck
    i call bull****

why is that. That is most manufacturers specs.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt3677 View Post
    why is that. That is most manufacturers specs.
    I call double bull****

Hmm

I put in four 10 ton chillers a while back. Nice set up, titianum tubeing with PVC shells. 7/8 liquid feed off the rack 404a. I decided tho add 7/8 solinoid just before each valve and A419 stat differential at 1f. Interlocking the solinoid to the water pump. Worked very well

Back to your question ...if 250 psi nitrogen holds why not try 350 for 48 hours? been there done that. It leaks somewhere or the refrigeration fairy is sneeking in at night and stealing it?

It may be leaking out through the access valve. When he was pressure testing it, he most likely left his gauge attached to the valve and might not have seen a leak. Once he disconnects his gauges and you take your chiller home, you may have a leak. This is one of the first places I normally look for leaks.

When the gauges are off - wouldn't the seal cap prevent leakage?

Seems like I just heard somewhere that the seal cap is the ultimate seal over a Schrader valve access port.

So how would it leak with no gauges?

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by jackt View Post
    It may be leaking out through the access valve. When he was pressure testing it, he most likely left his gauge attached to the valve and might not have seen a leak. Once he disconnects his gauges and you take your chiller home, you may have a leak. This is one of the first places I normally look for leaks.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

I was trying to be nice and not mention the s-word. I new the professionals would know exactly what I meant.