Thread: New T-Stat or Wait

Post Likes

New T-Stat or Wait

As I've posted b/4, we've been trying to get our electricity usage under control.
    As a part of my work to do this, I was thinking about getting Scott (my tech) to come over and install a digital T-stat. We now have White-Rogers slider.

This would be a good idea on its own, but we're gonna get a new heat pump system next spring (Lord willing and the creek don't rise). Prolly, Scott and his company will install this system, and of course install a new T-stat. (Amana/Goodman)

But, we could easily go w/other installers (Rheem, AS, or Carrier) Those guys might want to install another T-stat and there'd be that wasted money for only 9-10 months of new T-stat.

Install or wait?

Post Likes
    There's no reason you can't install a new t-stat now. You don't have to wait for a new system to install a new digital programmable stat. The VisionPro seems to be everybody's favorite. You can even install it yourself (yikes, did I write that?).

Take care.

Post Likes
    I was going to say the same thing as Gary (minus the DIY part ). You don't have to wait for a new system. Not all new systems require a new t-stat. You can enjoy a VisionPRO 8000 or IAQ now and with the new system. The VisionPRO is my recommendation. It's a great t-stat.

Post Likes
    As long as your not considering a system like the Carrier Infinty, a new stat now can be used with most any new system you get. Provided you get a stat that can control everything you want the new system to do.

Post Likes

Yeah, that's what I 'm concerned about

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    As long as your not considering a system like the Carrier Infinty, a new stat now can be used with most any new system you get. Provided you get a stat that can control everything you want the new system to do.
    b/c I was really condsiderin' getting the Amana/Rheem/AS 18 SEER products.

Perhaps the Bryant Evolution OR the Carrier Infinity. Prolly the Amana, Rheem, or AS top of the lines

Post Likes
    The AS 18 may use only the AS900 stat by then, which is the IAQ, but the EIM is built into it.

Carrier/Bryant, or course on theirs you use the Infinity/Evolution control on their top of the line.

Amana and Rheen you can use the IAQ, or other stat on them.
    Check out the York Affinity line. You can use the IAQ on it also.

Keep in mind. For your house, the amount of savings between a 2 stage 15/16 SEER unit, and a 18 SEER 2 stage unit, won't be recouped before its time to replace the unit again.

So if your thinking that the 18 to 21 SEER units will make a big improvement on your electric bill over a 15/16 SEER, it won't.

I've talked 3 customers out of getting Yorks 18 SEER for that reason.

Post Likes

That's right, I 'member you telling me

The AS 18 may use only the AS900 stat by then, which is the IAQ, but the EIM is built into it.

Carrier/Bryant, or course on theirs you use the Infinity/Evolution control on their top of the line.

Keep in mind. For your house, the amount of savings between a 2 stage 15/16 SEER unit, and a 18 SEER 2 stage unit, won't be recouped before its time to replace the unit again.

So if your thinking that the 18 to 21 SEER units will make a big improvement on your electric bill over a 15/16 SEER, it won't.

about 18 SEERS. Duely noted.

So if I happen to go w/the IAQ....ahem....can I install it myself?????????

Post Likes
    For a temporary solution there are also very affordable digital stats you can get from home depot, etc that will give you some control over when your system comes on and shuts off. That's what I did before I got a new system and it was well worth it.

From a financial standpoint, if you're not sure what final solution you're going to go with and don't want to waste money on a stat you might not end up using, installing a cheap stat by yourself make sense for a 9 month window.

As the pros will point out, there are of course always risks involved in changing out your stat.

Post Likes

Now re: York Affinity

Yorks don't seem to get alot of pub here. I know their condenser boxes look too cool. Does the York (Affinity or 14-16 SEERS) have any inherent advantages or disadvantages over Amana/Rheem/AS? Installation aside?

Post Likes
    They're quiet, and you can flash your favorite college (at a cost, of course).

A York Affinity YZE or CZE with variable-speed blower and VisionPRO IAQ would be a nice setup.

Post Likes

Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    They're quiet, and you can flash your favorite college (at a cost, of course).

A York Affinity YZE or CZE with variable-speed blower and VisionPRO IAQ would be a nice setup.
    I'll look into this.

Post Likes
    If your going dual fuel, the York defrost board is also a dual fuel control.

Other then that, if the contractor your dealing with, knows how to select the proper coil match up for your area. Not a big difference.

Post Likes
    Here are some details and documents regarding the YZE 15 SEER heat pump: http://www.yorkupg.com/NewInfo.asp?id=886

You can also locate the CZE 15 SEER air conditioner on that site (not sure what you're looking at).

Just another of many brands to look into. It's a 2-stage scroll unit just like several others.

Post Likes
    And it is also board selectable, it you want to go to second stage A/C right away, after it gets so hot outside.

Forgot about that.

Post Likes

Yep

If your going dual fuel, the York defrost board is also a dual fuel control.

Other then that, if the contractor your dealing with, knows how to select the proper coil match up for your area. Not a big difference.
    we're goin' dual fuel.

You mentioned a few months ago that Nordyne will be coming out w/a 23 SEER HP. You seemed to indicate that this huge of a jump in SEER from 18to 23 MIGHT be worth a look, if it was affordable.

Problem here is the closest Nordyne dealer (Fridigidaire) is 60 miles away. Not really what I want w/gas prices what they are, just for some problems that may crop up or yearly checkups.

Post Likes
    With the Nordyne, you would also have to use their thermostat.

That unit is a modulating unit, not a 2 stage. So that comes under a diferent heading yet.
    A modulating would be worth the higher cost because of better humidity control, then a 2 stage 18 SEER would give.

Post Likes

I'm

With the Nordyne, you would also have to use their thermostat.

That unit is a modulating unit, not a 2 stage. So that comes under a diferent heading yet.
    A modulating would be worth the higher cost because of better humidity control, then a 2 stage 18 SEER would give.
    guessin' these new Nordyne units will be far north of 10K

Post Likes
    I have no idea.

The HP version isn't out yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in