Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Career change

Quote Originally Posted by DeerHuntR View Post
    You didn't know they offshore IT jobs?

Wescoman,

But those Indians can't exactly go into the server closet. Accounting has similar limits - there's too much that requires a physical presence here in the US. My presence is so needed there at the office that I can't even telecommute, like some folks in other professions can.
    DeerHuntR
    Umm.........they don't NEED to send your job overseas - all they need to do is import the foreign workers into the US to TAKE your job under the H-1B visa program. Then THEY can enter the server closet just like you used to.

http://weblog.infoworld.com/realityc...sas_do_no.html

Quote Originally Posted by DeerHuntR View Post
    Everyone, it's been a very interesting weekend, and you've given me much to think about. My biggest surprise is that so many of you don't like what you do (and I'm not faulting anyone for that), and that's my real eye-opener to make me take pause. I'll think good and hard before I ever jump in, if I ever do. Again, thanks for taking the time to talk with me.

DeerHuntR
    I actually happen to like the job and some of the basic conditions like not being in an office, physical labor, making something, etc.

There are things that I don't like though.

"Office politics" still exists in the blue collar world. Layoffs are not always determined by things like lack of skill or problems like being late. A person's abilities (at least job related, not kneepad related) do not always determine hiring, either.

Shops have no issue instantly firing the blue collar worker when the hours are done, yet they always seem to have the funding to provide bonuses, vacation and sick days to the white collar office people.

"Professionals" still engineer and design the building and create a set of blueprints. The construction schedule still moves forward at an accelerated pace so the GC/ foreman/ whoever can get their early completion bonus. The "professionals" that initially create the problems in the design and engineering phase frequently do not solve the problems they create, yet they still get paid.

The "overpriced laborers" in the field do not get paid extra for solving their problems as the construction schedules get compressed and march forward.

HVAC is not a cakewalk.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123