Thread: refrigerant oil

refrigerant oil

hook gages to hight side of a coleman cond. It saturated my hands with oil. I figured it was because this unit hasn't been run for quite some time???
    Cleaned evap coils and filter. couldn't clean cond. coils - had no hose and nitro tank was empty (must have left valve cracked). Suction 50 psi, head 225 psi. - warm suction line SH 50+. So i added a little and brought the SH down to 30, suction line reading about 80 psi, head 300. i figured when i got a hose and washed the cond coils, the head will come down, although it looked real clean. well my SC was also 30 or so. I was wandering how that much oil coming from the compressor will affect the LL filter and also the SH and SC. unit starting cooling (20 deg difference between supply and return), but why a 30 SH and SC? LL filter or cond coils???? i dont know
    td55

Did you check for a restriction.

Frozen coils tend to flood compressors and wash the oil out.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Actually, i didn't go back into the coils after i sealed em up. So i'll do that thanks for the feedback. Although i ran the unit for at least 5 minutes before i opened evap and cleaned coils, there was no water, ice or frost after that point. it had probable run about 10 min. actually. Guess i could kill the blower to see if they frost evenly.
    td55

I'm guessing from the readings you posted. That the coil froze once or twice before you were called.

Restriction could be at the FD, or at the piston.

Dropping out the blower and looking for frost patterns will confirm if you have a restricted disgtributor tube or not.
    But won't tell you if the FD, or piston is restricted.
    Contractor locator map

I'm guessing from the readings you posted. That the coil froze once or twice before you were called.

No, i was not aware that it had froze before. i was just told it was cooling and that "they thought" the refrig leaked out, which i didn't pay that any mind. i went to look myself as always.
    td55

Ok.
    it was probably freezing, or very close. And had liquid coming back. Washing out oil.
    Contractor locator map

i see. thanks, this gives me something to go on
    td55