Thread: 3-Ton Unit Efficiency

Post Likes

3-Ton Unit Efficiency

I am wondering if my unit is doing all that it can do. After we added on to the house, it seems like its more difficult for the house to cool off. The unit is a Armstrong 3-ton about 12 years old. Today, I done a little checking. It was 84 degrees outside. The humidity was probably about 60%. I measured the temp at the register that was the most distance from the unit and it was 64 degrees with 90% humidity. The air at the closest register was the same. The air at the return was 73 degrees at 60% humidity. That's only a 9 degree difference. Also, is there a simple way to check to see if my air flow is sufficient. Any ideas would certainly be appreciated.

Post Likes
    This is not a DIY site, but I can tell you that when you add more load to a system, that system works harder.

Check for insulation problems on the ducting that runs through unconditioned areas. Check you air filter. That's about it for HO testing.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Measuring temps at the registers seldom tells you anything.

Have a service tech check it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Measuring temps at the registers seldom tells you anything.

Have a service tech check it.
    Wrong. Service dude. Or did you forget?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    So, you have something against service dudettes?
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Nope. I saw that they closed the other thread though.

Post Likes

Hmm Uncomfortable

Sounds like you added on, and robbed your other supply's for air.Big no,no Your system was'nt designed to handle the addition. 12 years ago, yeah today ,no. Sorry man you need a bigger system.

Post Likes
    Who done your duct work to your addition?

Post Likes
    The original duct is insulated metal duct, but the extension from the original placement of the unit to where it is now is flexible insulated tubing. The house is 2-story with a separate system for the upper floor. The bottom story sq footage is about 1600sq ft., but a lot of the spaze is open except for the great room which has 18ft cathedral ceilings with the ceiling fans. I would have thought that a 3-ton unit would have been sufficent, but my air flow doesn't seem all that great.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    So, you have something against service dudettes?
    Why no. My wife just happens to be a service dudette. Not too bad, if I do say so myself.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Nope. I saw that they closed the other thread though.
    Yep. And there wasn't even any in fighting. Go figure.

Post Likes
    was the system running the duringthe remodel

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdezyne View Post
    I am wondering if my unit is doing all that it can do. After we added on to the house, it seems like its more difficult for the house to cool off. The unit is a Armstrong 3-ton about 12 years old. Today, I done a little checking. It was 84 degrees outside. The humidity was probably about 60%. I measured the temp at the register that was the most distance from the unit and it was 64 degrees with 90% humidity. The air at the closest register was the same. The air at the return was 73 degrees at 60% humidity. That's only a 9 degree difference. Also, is there a simple way to check to see if my air flow is sufficient. Any ideas would certainly be appreciated.
    Sounds like it could be better,time to get it service,could save money on electric bill

Post Likes
    What did Manual J call for after renovations?

Post Likes
    The original installer was also the one who done the upgrade. He thought the unit was sized enough with the additional 480sq. ft. addon. I'm not sure if I want to go to the expense of putting in a new system when we may not even be living here in the next 2 or 3 years. I heard that a new regulation was going into effect in 2009 and was told it would be better to wait until then if I decided to replace it. Not sure what the new regulation was though.

Post Likes
    They probably ment 2010, for No new units being made using Virgin R22.

You can get a new unit today using teh R410A refrigerant, you don't have to wait.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in