Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Need Help...Outside unit will not shut off

Post Likes

Frown Need Help...Outside unit will not shut off

Hey all....I have a problem with my outside unit not wanting to shut off. I just recently graduated from an HVAC program, but I am stumped as to why my unit will not shut off unless I switch it off of cool from the furnace. For some reason when I switch the thermostat off of cool, the outside and inside units will not shut off. I can turn the temp above the temp in the house so it will kick off, but it wont. I have even turned the switch on the furnace off of cool, and tried to just run the fan in the on position and it will not kick on...the only way I can turn on and off my unit is to use the switch on the furnace.....I am completely stumped as to why it is doing this...I have even went out and check the contactor...and it seems to be working fine. Can anyone help me out.

Post Likes
    Bad stat or short in wiring. No detailed troubleshooting in this area of the site. Get 14 more posts under your belt and apply for professional membership and we can discuss this in more detail on a professional forum on this site.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Put the old stat back on.

Post Likes
    Ants.

Post Likes
    Is it a mobile home furnace and you tried to put a new t-stat on.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Ants.
    Bugs wouldn't cause the indoor unit to operate or wouldn't allow the outdoor unit to shut down by turning off the furnace power. It has to be in the control system.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Bugs wouldn't cause the indoor unit to operate or wouldn't allow the outdoor unit to shut down by turning off the furnace power. It has to be in the control system.
    He never said he cut the power off to the furnace.

Post Likes
    I never put a new T-Stat on, but yes it is in a mobile home...it is a Coleman Presidential Energy Saver A/C unit and a Presidential III Furnace Unit. The thing is when I have the T-Stat in the off position...the A/C still runs, that is with the Cool switch turned on on the furnace. The only way it will shut off is if I Switch it off of COOL on the furnace. if I turn the cool switch off I can go to the t-stat and try to turn the fan to the on position and it doesnt even do anything....I have even tried to turn it to Heat mode..and nothing happends...the only thing I can think of is a faulty T-stat

Post Likes
    I don't remember but I think the t-stat is a 2 or 3 wire t-stat.It is simple to diagnose the t-stat but per rules I can't explain.

Post Likes
    it is a simple 2 wire t-stat...I have even disconnected both of the wires, one at a time, and it just keeps on running

Post Likes
    O.k. it is in your controls in your furnace.Call a tech.

Post Likes
    that is why I came on here...I just recently graduated HVAC school and I am all certified...but still can't figure this one out...never ran across this kind of problem

Post Likes
    Get 15 post and apply for pro status.

Post Likes
    don't understand why I would have to wait till 15 post to find out, then pay money to become a professional member...but alright.

Post Likes
    Can't give advise on open forum.To many do it yourselfers.I think it is free.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tribalfreak06 View Post
    I just recently graduated HVAC school and I am all certified...but still can't figure this one out

You were not taught troubleshooting in HVAC school?

Post Likes
    get a bigger hammer

Post Likes
    Well you dont pay money to become a professional member. I am surprised to hear you graduated, this is a very simple problem you have and you cannot figure it out. I am going to call you out on it, THIS IS A DIYer IN DISGUISE.

Post Likes
    actually I was taught troubleshooting....but we never went across anything as to why the outside unit would still run on its own with no t-stat hooked up....and I have been trying to troubleshoot all day long...still can't figure it out.

Post Likes
    By the way "all certified" , you kinda gave yourself away on that one.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in