Thumbs up Y'all saved me money!

Thanks. After receiving a large electric bill, I began researching ways to cut my ac bill. After searching this forum, I found my cycle time was way too long. So I reduced the SPAN mode on my TStat to the minimum. My daily usage dropped 10 kwh per day since with no change in comfort level. That would be $2 a day or $300 per cooling season. Free Money! I still can't get to the recommended 10min on/10 min off cycle, but am at 30min on/30 min off. Maybe need another TStat with shorter SPAN setting.

I think I'll go out and stimulate the economyhttp://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/images/smilies/smile.gif

Send poor Twilli a couple bucks
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Send poor Twilli a couple bucks
    Yea us bottom feeders can use all we can get.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

since we saved you money........

Aint it only fair that you give it to us

On second thought.....don't worry about it. We don't work for free. And this constitutes work. So the bill is in the mail.

$300 you say.....we may be able to swing that. $300 a month should cover it nicely.

Thank you for shopping HVAC-Talk. Please come again
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by jax1 View Post
    Thanks. After receiving a large electric bill, I began researching ways to cut my ac bill. After searching this forum, I found my cycle time was way too long. So I reduced the SPAN mode on my TStat to the minimum. My daily usage dropped 10 kwh per day since with no change in comfort level. That would be $2 a day or $300 per cooling season. Free Money! I still can't get to the recommended 10min on/10 min off cycle, but am at 30min on/30min off. Maybe need another TStat with shorter SPAN setting. NO

I think I'll go out and stimulate the economy. http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/images/smilies/smile.gif
    You really need a meter-record, along with weather-condition-records on an A/C, to claim that a T-stat setting change, saved that much money.

Depending on the time of day & all other conditions, a 30min on 30min off cycle sounds okay. Again depending on conditions, the 30min OFF time, could be saying, that the heat gain is at a decent level.

Please, I advise you NOT to totally WASTE your money on another T-stat, send us that money instead. Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    You really need a meter-record, along with weather-condition-records on an A/C, to claim that a T-stat setting change, saved that much money.

Depending on the time of day & all other conditions, a 30min on 30min off cycle sounds okay. Again depending on conditions, the 30min OFF time, could be saying, that the heat gain is at a decent level.

Darrell
    Yep, been checking each day all month with fairly constant weather in the mid 90's and 50% rh. The only time the usage has been this low was 2 cloudy days and then every day for the week after changing the setting. I'll keep recording daily readings, and if they go back up, I'll revise my claim.

Don't get too excited about the check. I have 5 grandkids waiting ahead of y'all! Just keep a warm heart from knowledge you are helping people and my enduring thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post

Please, I advise you NOT to totally WASTE your money on another T-stat, send us that money instead. Darrell
    I'm back with the June results = 210 kwh less than May. Not quite 10 per day, but June is a hotter month.

The point of this exercise is that homeowners should try various settings, even when they may not make sense, to find what's most efficient for their system without sacrificing comfort.

Great forum. Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Now if your Tstat is programmable and reconfigurable to intelligent recovery or not, remove it from intelligent recovery and you will save more. Intelligent recovery basically causes the A/C to start eary in an attempt to achieve the occupied set point at the occupied start time.

No intelligent recovery has the Tstat start at the occupied time so it ends up acting more like a time clock. You'll suffer a little on comfort but savings are savings.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835