Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    I thought the definition of manager was to manage others. I wouldn't expect a manager to do a tech's job. I'd expect a manager to manage the techs so they could do their job efficiently.

a good manager will lead by example. Is able and willing to do anything he askes of the ones he is leading and they will in most cases do thier best for him or her

try to manage them and you will find they resent it and you have nothing but problems

leadership is everything imho

I didn't mean micro manage.

I mean provide support so a tech can do his job.

I still don't think a service manager should be catching calls unless everyone is tied up and it's critical to the company to run a call or two.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    a good manager will lead by example. Is able and willing to do anything he askes of the ones he is leading and they will in most cases do thier best for him or her

try to manage them and you will find they resent it and you have nothing but problems

leadership is everything imho

Exactly. The best supervisor that I ever had was like that. He always had his cell phone on and would help out anyone if they needed it. I'll never forget working one weekend on a hot summer's day on top of a building in downtown Cincinnati. He brought us Gatorade and supplies when he needed them and reassured us that he was only a phone call away if we needed more supplies or material. He went the extra mile for us so we were more than willing to go the extra mile for him.

My current employer has not caught on to this principle. They threaten, cuss, seek ways to "nail" a tech for minutia such as forgetting to check a box on a service invoice. They second guess, accuse, and belittle. And then, what gets me, they can't seem to figure out why no one wants to volunteer for overtime. Supervisors and management who are friends and relatives always seem to think that it's the greatest place in the world to work (To them it obviously is- little or no accountability and the use of the lowly tech as a "whipping boy" when something does go awry!). To me, it is the worst work environment that I have been involved in in all my years in the trade.

Nope, I wouldn't volunteer for someone who is verbally abusive even to the point of threatening violence. It's a sure fire de-motivator. Drill-instructor style mangement is counterproductive. All it does is motivate people to update their resumes.
    See, the human mind is kind of like... a piñata. When it breaks open, there's a lot of surprises inside. Once you get the piñata perspective, you see that losing your mind can be a peak experience. ~Jane Wagner

Responsibility varies by company. But I can tell you from experience, If something goes wrong it falls on the service manager. It is probably the most thank less job in the HVAC field. You need thick skin and a high level of self confidence. If you lack these traits, the job, Technicians, customers and owners will feast on your bones.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123