Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Absrbr got mst of it but there is just the list of our job with the guys.
    Boss
    Teacher
    counselor
    financial advisor

but nobody tells you about that part of it.

couple thngs that absrbr missed
    repoman
    safety officer
    If you didn't do it right the first time it probably makes sense that your here asking the right way to do it now

the service manager at my company takes a spot in the on call rotation and works in the field 60% of the time. we use tms dispatch system which helps the office staff with repair qoutes the service mgr still does the large qoutes like pm contracts and such the way we do our on call is sweet!!!! on call consists of friday pm till monday am 10 guys so one weekend every 10weeks then on call monday evening through thursday evening is roatated daily so you may have a weeknight about every two and a half weeks and never on a week leading up to your weekend or the week after. this system is great i have been in the trade 24 years and for the last four years i have worked at this company i have not had the "on call blues" i would never want to go back to a full week at a time!!! plus we divide the holidays at the beginning of the year so for the 7 holidays you get to pick in order of seniority so at most you will only pull one holiday a year the guys that had thanksgiving and christmas the year before are exempt from holidays the following year our service dept has no turnover { 2 guys in the last four years} which really helps a system like this!!! plus we are gauranteed time and half from the time we leave our house till we get back home. this is probably why our service mgr stays in the on call rotation

I do take a turn in the on-call rotation and don't mind at all. I do get paid overtime and it also helps with the morale of the guys. My responsibilities are just about everything having to do with service. I have a dispatcher and two customer service reps that help me immensely in the office, so I do have time to get out in the field with the guys and help out. We do residential and light commercial and have 14 service technicians.

i find my self with a lot more flexibility as the manager. we have different techs on call each day, so i end up taking on call responsibilities in a pinch for the guys from time to time. we keep 3-5 techs on call one of them is a lead tech as well as oil delivery drivers, a sales man, a parts runner/utility guy and a manager every day. only the dispatchers and customer service reps dont take a turn on call.
    i head up all the training, review techs, damage control, difficult calls, special projects, the list goes on and on.
    i wouldn't change it for nothing. like a lot of us, i know i cant swing a wrench for ever.
    Air conditioning to all and to all a good night

Service Manager for a union shop here. I have been in the field for over 15 years and now I am not allowed to touch a tool. That’s ok, my day and nights are burnt up dealing with customers and technicians.

I have yet to see a company of any real size put there service manager on call. I guess the smaller mom & pop Shops would.

Generally the question is whether the field supervisor will go on the on-call list.

6 months after my old service manager took the position, he developed high blood pressure. About three months later, he began having acid reflux disease (a severe case). It seemed to me that the job was going to kill him.
    But he has continued on to this day. Man, it seems like at a certain point, it wouldn't make any difference how much money I was making- it's time to go back in the field. Life's short enough to have a job cut decades off your life.
    See, the human mind is kind of like... a piñata. When it breaks open, there's a lot of surprises inside. Once you get the piñata perspective, you see that losing your mind can be a peak experience. ~Jane Wagner

I can't see there being enough money to do that thankless job.

The customer is always upset , the techs are always upset ,upper managment has restrictions on you , and you're probably the bad guy and at fault.

Do duty too?

I thought the definition of manager was to manage others. I wouldn't expect a manager to do a tech's job. I'd expect a manager to manage the techs so they could do their job efficiently.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Processes are managed. People are lead.

Probably why so many techs are upset at the shop previously mentioned. Very few people like to be managed.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    Yes they should. Most service managers I know though are salaried and wouldn't want to do OT for free.
    one of the last companies i worked for the service manager was always on call for back-up when the tech on call had a problem but he was never in the rotation cause of this

Been a manager for a few years now and I hate to bump old topics but I liked this one.

As manager you get many hats from counselor to medical advisor, to fireman and even arbitrator.

Managers manage the doers. I see managers who try to do still and you want to talk about severe and serious 3rd degree burn out that is it. Call duty absolutely not. Most techs / managers get the shot at being a manager because they are a good or the best tech in the shop and the boss wants it to run off to the others and run down hill. It just doesnt work out that way to often.

You have to have some one who can lead teach tech support be understanding and 1 hell of an innovative thinker in my opinion anyways. I love being a manager and couldn't dream of going back. Good managers are much harder to find than good technicians. Bad managers are a dime a dozen. Just look around your shop and imagine the guy next to you being your manager just because he has been there longer than you.

True words. Most supervision in our shop are related, former friends from their days in the field, or the usual senior man gets the job senario.
    See, the human mind is kind of like... a piñata. When it breaks open, there's a lot of surprises inside. Once you get the piñata perspective, you see that losing your mind can be a peak experience. ~Jane Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonianite View Post
    True words. Most supervision in our shop are related, former friends from their days in the field, or the usual senior man gets the job senario.
    To me it stinks and it is the worst way to do it. Do you promote the guy out of loyalty or from the fact he can actually do the job.

I got my first managing job at age 25 and I have learned a ton since then. It is just so much more than being a good technician. In fact I wouldn't hire a technician at all for the job to be honest because the skill set is so much different than what is needed for such a different position.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast