Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Service Manager Responsiblities

At your campanys does the Service Manager take a turn on call? What is his overall responsibilities?

Service manager? on-call? LOL

I think a qualified service manager should also be a qualified and skilled technician as well. This earns both the respect of the guys in the field and the trust of the customers that the company will do the right thing. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to;

-technical support
    -submitting proposals and quotes
    -oversees billing and invoicing
    -damage control when a technician @#$%s up
    -find ways to increase production and revenue without sacrificing integrity and morale
    -general customer relations

I'm sure there are many more, but that's primarily what comes to mind from a guy in the field, not the office.

Yes they should. Most service managers I know though are salaried and wouldn't want to do OT for free.

I've actually had a Manager that was on call and others that were not. I recall one that was working less hours than the techs...he did not last long. It's weird most of the good managers I have had over the years didn't last long due to burning themselves out.

The techs call me 24/7 but I don't take a week on call. But in a heat wave or cold wave I will help out. First of June I worked 2 weeks straight either in the office or in the field. Just told a salesman I'd help install Sat AM to get him a sale.

I'm with ya shadetree, I'm past the point of burnout! Just too lazy to find something else, plus they pay well!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The techs call me 24/7 but I don't take a week on call. But in a heat wave or cold wave I will help out. First of June I worked 2 weeks straight either in the office or in the field. Just told a salesman I'd help install Sat AM to get him a sale.

I'm with ya shadetree, I'm past the point of burnout! Just too lazy to find something else, plus they pay well!
    If you do not mind could you tell me your responsibilities?

My dues are paid...

No call rotation...

Managing the service/maintenance department (both residential and commercial) as well as many other duties to numerous to list take more time than I have available as it is...

Like Loonie I used to help out in the field during busy season but have finally situated things where it's no longer neccesary to do it unless we have one that just begs for my attention...

By the way...got one of those tomorrow

I started burning out after 2 or 3 years, at 5 years I was toast. To much BS involved in management that the techs NEVER see or hear about. 99% of the techs have no clue as to what BS the service manager goes thru. JMHO

Lets see, responsabilities:
    Unlimited unpaid overtime
    Buffer between techs and greedy upper management
    Technical support
    Parts delivery
    Helping in field when short handed
    Forcasting
    P/L
    Safety
    Fleet management
    Litigation
    AR
    AP
    Hiring
    Firing
    Laying off
    Dispatching
    Billing
    Parts ordering
    Purchase orders
    Pricing
    Contract sales
    Contract renewals
    Payroll
    Customer relations
    Inventory control
    These are just a few off the top of my head. The job basicaly entails anything that is required from the time the call is recieved, until it is paid for.

This is why I'm back in the truck and on the tools again!!!!
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

I think it really depends on the size of the company and abilities of the other techs. We are a small commercial co and the "service manager" takes lead duty everyother week. He does not do a lot of the other things others have said. He does have a few large customers he runs interference for but mostly thats my job.

His primary duties are:

Evaluating and following up on other techs
    Training new techs
    Saftey meetings
    Work service calls @30-35 hours per week

All the other stuff (complaints, purchasing, quotes, billing, etc) is mostly done by me or the owner. (now that I see this I think I need a raise ).

But he is paid hourly with an additional fixed amt each week for admin time.

I hope this helps

Taking absrbrtek's list -- what I do...

Unlimited unpaid overtime: No, I expect OT pay weekends, rarely stay late during the week

Buffer between techs and greedy owners: yea but we're small enough the techs/installers see the owners daily

Technical support: that's most of it
    Parts delivery: some but I like to get out
    Helping in field when short handed: rarely
    Forecasting: some
    P/L: no
    Safety: no
    Fleet management: yea, something is always breaking down
    Litigation: yea, in the rare event something comes up
    AR: no
    AP: yes
    Hiring: no for the most part
    Firing: no, "Junior" likes to do it!
    Laying off: no
    Dispatching: no, dispatcher does it
    Billing: rare, techs collect on the job
    Parts ordering: yes
    Purchase orders: yes
    Pricing: yes
    Contract sales: no
    Contract renewals: no
    Payroll: consolidate & review then pass on
    Customer relations: no, owners know I have a temper, like "Junior" so not the person to handle customer problems
    Inventory control: yes
    Cost installs: every job gets costed with materials & labor so salesman can be paid. Just clerical work but takes a little time
    Warehouse janitor: yes, unless I can pawn it off on an installer!

I thought being a SM is a position where you can finally make good money, work an 8-5, weekends off, and all that good stuff. I know their is more to it but i sure would not do any on call trash. I figure by then i have put in my fair share of the bs.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

Quote Originally Posted by notta tech View Post
    I think it really depends on the size of the company and abilities of the other techs. We are a small commercial co and the "service manager" takes lead duty everyother week. He does not do a lot of the other things others have said. He does have a few large customers he runs interference for but mostly thats my job.

His primary duties are:

Evaluating and following up on other techs
    Training new techs
    Saftey meetings
    Work service calls @30-35 hours per week

All the other stuff (complaints, purchasing, quotes, billing, etc) is mostly done by me or the owner. (now that I see this I think I need a raise ).

But he is paid hourly with an additional fixed amt each week for admin time.

I hope this helps

that sounds like a service foreman-i think abs hit it on the head

I have been kicking around the idea of a platoon system. I have two guys that are capable of handling the role...Have them take turns every few months handling the managerial position in an attempt to keep things fresh. When they are not working they would be back in the truck as a regular service tech. Just an idea, I'm not sure how it would work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast