Need advice on a recommended setup

Need advice on a recommended setup

We experienced a lightning strike to the home and will be upgrading the AC system that went bad.

We current have a 2100 Sq Ft home, 10ft ceilings. Louisiana (near Baton Rouge) Age 11 years old, good insulation, High pitched roof system. 1 level home.

Current AC
    Ruud 4 ton 12 seer
    Furnace Ruud 80k BTU Horizontal feed
    Rheem 12 seer rated coils

The current system we have has never been able to keep the house adequately cooled. If we set the temperature below 76 degrees the line will eventually freeze up. It can run for hours sometimes and lose ground.

Let me also say that I have a home business and have three computers running 24 hours a day that also throw off a ton of heat as well.

No Manual J was done.

Installer recommended a Goodman setup with an Amana Furnace

CAPF4860
    AMB8090SCN
    SSX160601A

Any advice would be great for this.

Thank you very much,

David
    Last edited by snedman; 07-10-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Kind of off topic, but are you having your insurance company cover the cost?

Get another contractor to evaluate your duct system and fix it.
    Then a 4 ton may be able to handle your homes cooling load a save you money.
    Installing a 5 ton unit on a duct system that can't handle a 4 ton units required air flow. is looking for a lot of headaches. And expensive electric bills to still not be able to cool your house.

If teh guy recomending a 5 ton unit tells you the VS blower wil move enough air through your duct. then he using a VS blower as a cure all solution to your ductwork. And will cost you alot of money in repairs when your part warranty expires.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
    Kind of off topic, but are you having your insurance company cover the cost?
    Yes insurance company is covering cost, I am paying for the upgrade portion.

On the current system, the airflow coming through the vents is fairly fast. It certainly isn't slow.

We are going to a 16 seer, and he indicated that a 16 seer requires a VS furnace. I am not sure if he discussed at all that it would cure it. But, it is possible that is what he is thinking.
    Last edited by snedman; 07-10-2008 at 12:26 PM.

You confusing velocity with volume.

Your system freezes up most likely due to low air flow.

Go out and buy 2000 widgets. put them in your car at 10 a trip, and drive home at 90 miles an hour. See how long it takes.

The go out and buy another 2000, and put all 2000 in your car and drive home at 60 miles an hour. See how long it takes.
    Which delivered more widgets. the high veloctiy low volume trips.
    Or the high volume low velocity trip.

Not a great anology, but simular to whats happening with your air flow. your moving a little air, very fast.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You confusing velocity with volume.

Your system freezes up most likely due to low air flow.

Go out and buy 2000 widgets. put them in your car at 10 a trip, and drive home at 90 miles an hour. See how long it takes.

The go out and buy another 2000, and put all 2000 in your car and drive home at 60 miles an hour. See how long it takes.
    Which delivered more widgets. the high veloctiy low volume trips.
    Or the high volume low velocity trip.

Not a great anology, but simular to whats happening with your air flow. your moving a little air, very fast.

Thank you for that analogy. Now I understand.

How would one go about increasing the volume vs. the velocity? Thank you for your patience in this matter.

David

The size of the duct.

Depends on type of duct system installed. may be able to add a return. And then add another suppy or 2 or 3.
    Or, may need to install new supply branches for all rooms.

Thats why you need someone that can evaluate your duct system(air distribution) to see what really needs done.

All too often, A home owner such as yourself has a system that is sized right or even over sized, but has a grossly undersized duct system.

And a contractor comes along that doesn't know any better, and just simply wants to throw a bigger unit in. Which causes more trouble yet.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The size of the duct.

Depends on type of duct system installed. may be able to add a return. And then add another suppy or 2 or 3.
    Or, may need to install new supply branches for all rooms.

Thats why you need someone that can evaluate your duct system(air distribution) to see what really needs done.

All too often, A home owner such as yourself has a system that is sized right or even over sized, but has a grossly undersized duct system.

And a contractor comes along that doesn't know any better, and just simply wants to throw a bigger unit in. Which causes more trouble yet.

The duct system is in the attic, and feed through ceiling vents.

The ducts are metal, covered with a silver insulation which has fiberglass under it.

It appears that the ducts are much larger closer to the actual unit and then step down a size about 6-10 feet from the handler.

I will look into this today.

David

Curiuos... what was the extent of the lightening strike damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey ED View Post
    Curious... what was the extent of the lightening strike damage?
    It fried all but one TV, All cables boxes, My PDA, The AC unit, all 4 of my PC's, Xbox, a couple battery chargers, my whole house alarm system, all my telephones, all my printers, scanner...etc. About 15k-17k worth of damage(at the moment.) The electrical in the house still needs to be evaluated.

No structural damage, at least that I can see so far. I still need to get onto the roof.

Our area is known as "lightning alley" so, I guess it is about time to get a whole house surge arrester. I figure $7.49 a month is far less then the $1k deductible. I would need that for about 10 years+install to equal the deductible.

David

Quote Originally Posted by snedman View Post
    It fried all but one TV, All cables boxes, My PDA, The AC unit, all 4 of my PC's, Xbox, a couple battery chargers, my whole house alarm system, all my telephones, all my printers, scanner...etc. About 15k-17k worth of damage(at the moment.) The electrical in the house still needs to be evaluated.

No structural damage, at least that I can see so far. I still need to get onto the roof.

Our area is known as "lightning alley" so, I guess it is about time to get a whole house surge arrester. I figure $7.49 a month is far less then the $1k deductible. I would need that for about 10 years+install to equal the deductible.

David
    I hope insurance has got you covered well! That's unfortunate. I think you'd benefit from a surge protection system.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I hope insurance has got you covered well! That's unfortunate. I think you'd benefit from a surge protection system.
    Well, that is funny you should mention that. SF indicated they were mailing out the payment last Thursday.

So, I figured it would be here Monday Tuesday at latest. My AC contractor graciously put in the AC package under the impression SF was mailing the check last Thursday. Being the extremely untrusting chap I am when it comes to insurance claims, I deposited a balance transfer from my CC to my account the same day.

So, I get a call from the contractor last night. Can I go deposit your check. No, the SF check hasn't arrived. It is of course past their business hours.

My balance transfer cleared last night.

I call this morning. Well Mr. Snedman it appears the check was never mailed. Let me see if I can find out why. 2 minutes later, Well, I don't see any reason it was not mailed. It appears we just "overlooked mailing it."

Well, Ms. SF rep I have a AC contractor that is waiting for his money, and he installed it out of his own pocket. Well, we will mail it out tomorrow (Friday.)

No, Ms. SF rep you will overnight it today... You just indicated to me that you have no valid reason for not mailing the check last week. How exactly am I suppose to react to that. Yes, I will have that overnighted to you (Yet to be seen if they did.)

My energy company doesn't offer whole house protection. But another electric company nearby does, and apparently will install it on anyones house that wants it. So, I will be contacting them to have it installed.

Once the AC is done. I can start focusing on the other things that need to be replaced...