Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Sounds like it is shuttin off from a safety switch doing its job.
    so, I assume that means something is not quite right. I have not had any service done to the AC in the 5 years I have had it. maybe a standard service call? Would that involve the tech diagnosing this problem, or is that extra time and money?

Is AC something that needs regular service?

They should be checked every year.

If you don't tell them its having trouble. They may not catch it.

Tell them its not working right over the phone, and that you want it cleaned and serviced at teh same time.
    If you don't. It would be possible, a new tech would come out, and not know how to diagnose it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

In would have someone come and check your duct system, that would be the first thing I would do. Next I would probably have another return register put in since you mentioned you have a ranch style home, and if your one return register is not centrally located I would see about having another put in, Maybe even consider having some high wall return registers installed thru out the home. Get your air flow issues resolved, do you have dampers on all your heat runs ? If not that would be another itme you should think about having done. Once you have doen most of those or all of them then have the air flow balanced and see how your home is afterwards if it is better than it is now and if not then it may have to be downsized.

If he does all that. Then he will have paid to increase his humidity.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If he does all that. Then he will have paid to increase his humidity.
    yeah, actually, my home is pretty open, the return is well place, I think. I have lit inscence around and no matter where in the house I have it, when the fan is on, the smoke moves toward the return. It is a small house, only 1100 square feet with 8 ft ceiling and a basement.

I will however seriously consider having a tech take a look at it. but as you said in a previous post, what i fear is that the guy comes and just gives me a line that 'everything is fine", b/c that is pretty much what happened when I instlaled the AC.

But if i do as you say and make sure to point out the particular issue that possibly a safety is shutting the system down during long run times, hopefully the tech can dianose the issue.

what other things do they do for the cleaning/service? no need to list everything, what are the major things that the tech does?, or "should" do?

After 5 years, your coils most likely need cleaned.
    Should check blower and fan motors.
    Refrigerant pressures and temp.
    Air temps.
    Check drain lines.
    Etc.
    Contractor locator map

OK; but what about my question?

In terms of heating - how much less will the highest efficiency HP system cost to operate versus the lowest efficiency HP system?

13 SEER heat pump

15 SEER heat pump

How much less will the 15 cost to operate than the 13?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

oversized

1100 sf 3 ton up state ny?????? do you have no windows doors insulation....etc? or do you enjoy your system turning on and off every 4 mins? HELLOOOOOO LOAD CALC.!

In would have someone come and check your duct system, that would be the first thing I would do. Next I would probably have another return register put in since you mentioned you have a ranch style home, and if your one return register is not centrally located I would see about having another put in, Maybe even consider having some high wall return registers installed thru out the home. Get your air flow issues resolved, do you have dampers on all your heat runs ? If not that would be another itme you should think about having done. Once you have doen most of those or all of them then have the air flow balanced and see how your home is afterwards if it is better than it is now and if not then it may have to be downsized.
    Beenthere why would he have paid to have his humidity increased after doing all that I suggested ?

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    In terms of heating - how much less will the highest efficiency HP system cost to operate versus the lowest efficiency HP system?
    13 SEER heat pump
    15 SEER heat pump
    How much less will the 15 cost to operate than the 13?
    I wrote an answer.
    Apparently I must have clicked something other then post, cause it ain't here.

Do you want just a blanket percent.
    Or a print out performance.

13 to 15 SEER single stage can get you 11% on the HP alone.
    It comes out a little more if you figure in the savings from the aux heat not having to be used as much.
    So you can see an easy 15% reduction in energy consumption for the year.

Keep in mind. HPs weather 13 or 15 SEER, from one brand to the next, have different BTU performances.

One manufacturers 16 SEER does worst at heating then their 14 SEER.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by dezerttech View Post
    1100 sf 3 ton up state ny?????? do you have no windows doors insulation....etc? or do you enjoy your system turning on and off every 4 mins? HELLOOOOOO LOAD CALC.!
    A post like this aught to be looked at by the forum moderators. After the length of the thread and the information given, for this jackal to say this to me is both rude and obnoxious.

It has been a pleasant converasation up until this point and I appreciate all the reply's so far, but this one just sits with me the wrong way.

Unfortunately.

Some people forget that the customer(yourself) is not the person that was suppose to know to do(or should have been done) a load calc. And it was the responsibity of the contractors you called to do it. And that in many areas contractors not only don't do them, but many don't know how.
    Contractor locator map

Yes; it is rude and obnoxious. On the otherhand -

It is just words on a screen. How offended can you really be by that? <g>

And; you can be selfish: just take what you want or need and leave the rest lying there in the dirt. No reason to get any on yourself.

PHM
    ---------

I
    Quote Originally Posted by brewyourown View Post
    A post like this aught to be looked at by the forum moderators. After the length of the thread and the information given, for this jackal to say this to me is both rude and obnoxious.

It has been a pleasant converasation up until this point and I appreciate all the reply's so far, but this one just sits with me the wrong way.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast