Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

help with Carrier models

Hi-
    I just got estimates from 2 contractors for Carrier heat pump, but each gave me different model numbers:
    25HBA324
    25HCA324

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 'B' and the 'C'?
    Thanks.

(I tried carrier.com, but found it pretty useless)

HCA, comfort line.
    HBA, builers unit. Low end of line.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The diference

[QUOTE=jdevola;1920850]Hi-

The comfort series is 2 to 3 decibles quieter and has tech assist which is useless to you. Design longevity is longer on comfort and 10 Years on compressor. Coil gaurd to protect condenson when cutting grass, that not rocks shoot out and hit it. Hope this helps you.
    Do it right the first time.

Carrier Model help

Well, that puts things into perspective since they gave similar quotes for the 2 different models. It sounds like I get the better deal with the Comfort line.

Thanks

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevola View Post
    Well, that puts things into perspective since they gave similar quotes for the 2 different models. It sounds like I get the better deal with the Comfort line.

Thanks
    Only if it's sized and installed correctly.Here's hoping it is!

Or you might want to spend some time here ,and learn a litlle .just to be aable to ask questions about how it will be installed.

vacuum pump,micron gauge,line set size,why R22 in these system ,when it will not be allowed in systems built for the USA in 2010??

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post

why R22 in these system ,when it will not be allowed in systems built for the USA in 2010??
    Thats only half true.

No new systems may be made using virgin R22 that is purchased after Jan 1 of 2010.
    But, manufacturers are allowed to make R22 systems with any virgin R22 they have in-stock from purchases before Jan 1 of 2010, or purchase recycled R22 to manufacture new R22 systems.

Will any manufacturers take advantage of that loop hole. I don't know.

But to me, it seems the odds are good that at least one will.

Just an FYI.
    Contractor locator map

Questions about...all that stuff

Well, according to Carrier's website (and the rep also indicated), this is Puron (R410A). This is a replacement of the roof condenser and the indoor air handler/resistance coil.

The only thing I thought was funny was that he wouldn't replace the entire length of the lines (probably too much work to go through the walls to replace). Instead he said they would replace the exposed sections.

Based on the information I could find so far (http://www.emersonclimate.com/contra...landR410A.shtm), this seems ok.

Now, there is also some question as to the size of the proposed unit. I had about 5 or 6 contractors come over to do estimates, and they all said I have a 1.5-ton and should get a 2-ton, except for one guy...

he insisted that I have a 2-ton and only need a 1.5-ton, but this is also the guy that wants to use R-22 instead (everyone else said go with R-410A).

I have a single story (sandwiched between a unit upstairs, and a unit downstairs, and only 2 exterior walls (the other 2 are adjacent to other units). It is a 1 bedroom condo in NJ with about 675-700 sq. ft. (bath/laundry, kitchen, bedroom, living room, plus 2 closets).

None of these guys took measurements, except the guy who wants to use R-22 and a 1.5-ton system. But there are 600+ units here, probably half of which are the same size and layout, only varying with floor level, so I'd think they might not have to take measurements.

I've been reading that it is better to get a closely-matched system, and that oversizing can cost more and waste more energy. So, I am leaning toward wanting a 1.5-ton. Plus, I think short-cycling might also be a consideration with an oversized unit.

Well, there it is in a nutshell. Any comments, suggestions?

I appreciate the help.
    Thanks

Judging from the place, 1.5 ton sounds plenty! Too many dealers around here oversize small condos, they are scared to use little units and forget about common walls, floors, ceilings!

Unless those 2 exposed sides are all glass, 1.5 tons sounds more in line with a proper size.

There is nothing wrong with using R22. Unless you intend to have leaks in your system.
    Contractor locator map

Do not be scared of R-22...There are far too many R-22 systems out there to worry about getting refer. for it. As R-22 systems are changed out, the gas will be collected, cleaned and resold. If you do not have leaks, then you have nothing to worry about. There are also replacements and given time there will be more. The cost for refer is climbing across the board. As R-22 gets more expensive, so does the rest. I am hoping there will be a better replacement then R-410a, for which I do not like. Remember R-12? It can still be bought today, and the price as dropped a bit because there is little demand for it for the most part. You can still buy R-12 in other countries...(Bahamas had it in 30's sitting on the counter to buy).

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    R410a/Puron is it for a while,too much spent developing the systems to change anytime soon.

Most R22 is not being recycled,cost will be an issue to recycle.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Judging from the place, 1.5 ton sounds plenty! Too many dealers around here oversize small condos, they are scared to use little units and forget about common walls, floors, ceilings!
    Ok, so I offered the suggestion of going with a 1.5 ton instead of 2-ton system, and he basically said either way wouldn't make much difference.

The prices aren't much different, but another consideration is the size of the hatch to the roof, which will easily fit a 1.5 ton.

Anyway, to make a long story short, he ended up suggesting a roof unit at 1.5 ton with a 2.0-ton air handler/resistance coil, saying that this combination would be a little "more efficient" than a fully 2-ton system.

I have heard of people mixing o/u and i/u like this, and but I don't know if this is reasonable. I question whether it makes more sense than just having both i/u and o/u at 1.5-ton.

Is there an advantage to having an i/u that's sized larger than the o/u?
    Is it a BAD idea to mix the sizes like this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

It is benificial

Is there an advantage to having an i/u that's sized larger than the o/u?
    Is it a BAD idea to mix the sizes like this?

Thanks for any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

The pressure drop across coil can be less with bigger IDU. Better humidity removal with more surface area.
    Do it right the first time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast