+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Temp control question

Post Likes

Temp control question

Hey guys this is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyways. A delfield#md-cp-2 reach in was getting to cold and freezing customers milk. Found the temp control not shutting off unit. Ordered new one. Boss said we were just there a couple weeks ago and put a new one in cause the coil was iced up. He got me another one and I went back to put it in. Cycled unit down, unit wouldn't shut off again. I set the temp control all the way back at its lowest setting. Unit finally shuts off at 25F. Called delfield they said its not the temp control, its a refrigeration problem either a restriction or low on gas. My thoughts were if the coil is not completely saturated it would never get that cold. Has this happened to anyone before or am I wrong?

Post Likes
    Im with the factory

Refrigeration related issue

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Im with the factory

Refrigeration related issue
    X2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by btglow94 View Post
    Hey guys this is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyways. A delfield#md-cp-2 reach in was getting to cold and freezing customers milk. Found the temp control not shutting off unit. Ordered new one. Boss said we were just there a couple weeks ago and put a new one in cause the coil was iced up. He got me another one and I went back to put it in. Cycled unit down, unit wouldn't shut off again. I set the temp control all the way back at its lowest setting. Unit finally shuts off at 25F. Called delfield they said its not the temp control, its a refrigeration problem either a restriction or low on gas. My thoughts were if the coil is not completely saturated it would never get that cold. Has this happened to anyone before or am I wrong?
    Yes sir...seen this a few times.
    If you have a partial restriction, then the unit may still operate...it all depends on the design and where the coil sensing stat is located...

I had a stand up True, still sealed system. That pulled down in temp fine, but... Still froze up. Replaced stat twice same issue, so I tapped on and immediately saw my problem which was a plugged drier.

Replaced drier, cut 2 in off cap tube, recharge...problem went away

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    Yes sir...seen this a few times.
    If you have a partial restriction, then the unit may still operate...it all depends on the design and where the coil sensing stat is located...

I had a stand up True, still sealed system. That pulled down in temp fine, but... Still froze up. Replaced stat twice same issue, so I tapped on and immediately saw my problem which was a plugged drier.

Replaced drier, cut 2 in off cap tube, recharge...problem went away
    Good to know. Thanks guys

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by btglow94 View Post
    Good to know. Thanks guys
    Right...it all depends how its designed and what's in it..

That true in my previous post actually had a commercial temp condensing unit on it with a wide operating envelope of +30 all the way down to -10.

And in my instance...it pulled down to temp quick, I saw no obvious reason to check pressures since it was still sealed.
    But when I did check, I had 5inch vacuum and 110 head.
    After new drier and pressure test I had my 18 and 155 much better

Post Likes
    Hey Scott- when you shorten the cap tube a couple of inches are you taking that from the drier end or the evaporator end? I remember years ago an old timer told me that "X" refrigerant tended to plug the inlet of the capillary tube and "Y" refrigerant tended to plug the outlet. Have you experienced this? Seems like the vast majority of cap tube systems I see are R-134a.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveinOzark View Post
    Hey Scott- when you shorten the cap tube a couple of inches are you taking that from the drier end or the evaporator end? I remember years ago an old timer told me that "X" refrigerant tended to plug the inlet of the capillary tube and "Y" refrigerant tended to plug the outlet. Have you experienced this? Seems like the vast majority of cap tube systems I see are R-134a.
    I haven't seen any plug at the evap inlet... Only the drier side

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in