Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Your wife and kids say "We know Dad, We know. You told us before" every time you drive by some building you've worked on and told them "I did that one" or "I was on that roof for three weeks".
    Edited by powerhead on more than one occasion

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    When you drive an hour and a half to pick up an old broken cooler just so you can fix it and make it a beer cooler....

I did this 2 weeks ago. As of last night, cooler holds temp at a cool 34*. Now I just need to get the hardware to run the taps.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...n/102_1168.jpg
    When you can look at an old beat up cooler that some other guy fixed up and it brings a tear to your eye. God bless the beer cooler!

When you drive through a neighborhood and you remember what kind of equipment they have.

"That house has a Heil NUGK and a tear drop condensing unit"

"That house has a Pulse and a HS16"

"That house has a Carrier SX and a TKB"

"That house has a MILF and I can't remember the equipment"

when you drive around town with the wife and start pointing out all the houses you've worked at..... new furnace/ AC there, new stat there, charged that unit, wonder if they ever changed their old units, stinky basement in that house, etc

sittin on the toilet reading text books.........lmao, i'll second that one. no pun intended
    "The things you own end up owning you. "

Tyler Durden

Quote Originally Posted by Refer-Madness View Post
    When you can look at an old beat up cooler that some other guy fixed up and it brings a tear to your eye. God bless the beer cooler!
    When you can make other techs cry over something as simple as fixing a cooler
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    Funny story, I live in the Phoenix area. Last year around this same time (112 degrees ). I went to see the Diamondbacks play at Chase Field. Well they had the roof closed and probably had been cooling that place off all day. We get an hour into the game and they decide to open the roof. we thought for sure all that air was about to suck right out of the stadium, but oddly enough it stayed pretty well cool for the temp outside. I was impressed.
    Had there been a good wind outside that day, the stadium may have warmed up faster as the hot air blew in and displaced the cool air. With little to no wind, the cool air, being heavier than the warmer outside air, just sat in the stadium.

But...I still have to wonder what thinking would go into spending all that energy and money to cool a stadium, only to pop the roof on a sweltering hot day, especially in AZ! Seems insane.

I went to an Astros game a few years ago. Former Enron Field, now Minutemaid Park. It also has a retractable top. It was warm and muggy outside the stadium, as it almost always is in Houston, cooler and drier inside. A little more than halfway through the game, the roof was retracted. Why? I have no idea. The warm, muggy air rushed in and displaced all that cool air.

The new Cowboys stadium going up in Arlington, TX will have a retractable roof. I'll be wondering how often Jerry Jones will let that thing pop open during the early season games.

Now that I work in heavy commercial HVAC, I know how they cool those huge stadiums. Same way I do at the museum...with chillers. Only theirs are probably a LOT bigger. If you ever visit the Gaylord Texan hotel in Grapevine, TX, that place has a huge glass atrium between the guest room towers. They have several chillers around 2,000 tons each, and on a hot day, they're screaming like the dickens. That glass atrium is not much more than an air-conditioned greenhouse...... but complete with restaurants, stages, fountains, streams, pools, bars, etc. To the unlearned eye, it seems impossible to keep that huge space cool.

When the oil in the truck needs to be changed but the 24 year old HP outside and coil inside are spotless, new filter and a temp probe stuck permanently on the line set.....for fun I promise.

when you've lost more tools in attics then you can count.

Tyler Durden

When you're in a supermarket and you make an almost unconscious effort to move toward the back of the store so you can hear where the machine room is.

You can still remember how equipment sounds and looks like that has been out of production for years and no longer exists (that would make you an OLD HVAC dude).

You remember the pre EPA/Montreal Protocol days and compressor change-outs (that might put you in the OLD catagory as well ).

You remember when you could buy one pound cans of R12 at the auto supply store (sheesh...maybe we should start a new thread titled "you know you're an OLD HVAC dude when...)

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    When you're in a supermarket and you make an almost unconscious effort to move toward the back of the store so you can hear where the machine room is.

You can still remember how equipment sounds and looks like that has been out of production for years and no longer exists (that would make you an OLD HVAC dude).

You remember the pre EPA/Montreal Protocol days and compressor change-outs (that might put you in the OLD catagory as well ).

You remember when you could buy one pound cans of R12 at the auto supply store (sheesh...maybe we should start a new thread titled "you know you're an OLD HVAC dude when...)
    lmao thats good stuff, but i've only ever seen about 3 containers of r 12.........not to make you feel old or anything

Tyler Durden

When you carry old "monthly special flyers" in your van. And when you need a specific tool, you carry the flyer into the Stone with you and try to get it at sale price......even though the sale ended 8 months ago
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by badboyheel View Post
    lmao thats good stuff, but i've only ever seen about 3 containers of r 12.........not to make you feel old or anything
    You're an OLD HVAC dude if you know how to use a Dial-A-Charge cylinder.

You're an OLD HVAC dude if you remember when capacitors had PCB's in them.

You're an OLD HVAC dude if you remember residential cooling systems that had a redwood natural draft cooling tower in the backyard piped to a water cooled condensing unit in the crawl space underneath the house (I get somewhat of a break there...these systems were around when I was a kid, and were mostly gone when I first picked up a set of gauges ).

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast