Thread: Carrier Cased-A Coil Obsolete?

Post Likes

Carrier Cased-A Coil Obsolete?

Hello, next week I have an install scheduled but today I get a call from the contractor and he states that the evaporator coil we had agreed to install went obsolete and can not get, p/n: CAPVP4821-ACA, not sure what the backend of this calls out.
    So my question to you proffesionals is, is this true or is this a bait and switch? He did state the A-coil is still available but not factory cased anymore so he will provide a cased N-coil. Is one better than the other? I'm starting to get a not so good feeling about this contractor.
    Thanks for looking.

Post Likes
    Is it a Carrier coil?

Most manufacturers have moved in to using N-Coils due to the height necessary for an A-Coil of equivalent capacity. (especially on 4 and 5 ton)

If it's an ARI matched coil, no problem.

As far as cased and uncased, it will be cased, either the manufacturer or the technician(s) will encase it. If uncased the quality of his sheet metal work will show.

Get the model # of the replacement coil. I believe the carrier equivalent mod # starts with CNPV.
    Last edited by billva; 07-09-2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: dislexia, I originally stated CNVP, Cheers!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billva View Post
    Is it a Carrier coil?

Most manufacturers have moved in to using N-Coils due to the height necessary for an A-Coil of equivalent capacity. (especially on 4 and 5 ton)

If it's an ARI matched coil, no problem.

As far as cased and uncased, it will be cased, either the manufacturer or the technician(s) will encase it. If uncased the quality of his sheet metal work will show.

Get the model # of the replacement coil. I believe the carrier equivalent mod # starts with CNVP.
    I agree. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I haven't seen a Carrier A coil for some time now. All N coils anymore.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies.
    The replacement would be the CNPVP-4821-ACA. I'm starting feel a little more at ease. It just seemed odd a Carrie dealer would not know about their product obsolesnce.
    Anyone know what ACA calls out on the backend? Just curious.

Post Likes
    Dealers are always the last to know things! That's why I hang out on here rather than wait for the supplier to inform me of changes

Post Likes

ACA?

ACA & ATA are the two options in Carrier N coils

ACA = regular copper hairpins
    ATA = tin plated hairpins ( hairpins are the copper end loops on backside of coil)
    I'm lost, I've gone to look for myself.

Post Likes
    I'd get the ATA coil. They're supposedly more resistant to leaking/corrosion compared to the ACA coils.

Here's a good thread about it: http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174327.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in