+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fridge from RV, Absorption unit?

Post Likes

Confused Fridge from RV, Absorption unit?

Hi, I work in a pulp and paper mill in Ontario, Canada. Been on the job for about 4 months, not alot of experience. Work on mostly a/c units from 10 ton to 40 ton self contained units for our electrical sub-stations, and aswell work on window units for offices and the odd fridge.
    Which brings me to my problem,I got a call about a really small fridge that was not working. They got it out of an abandoned building on site, but it did not seem to work. It appears to be one that somebody brought from home, possibly out of an RV. I think it is a type of absorption unit, maybe charged with ammonia and water.
    What I want to do is decommission the unit and scrap it, but what do I do with the ammonia, if that is what it is.
    There are no tags saying what is in it, the only info I have is the name ZZSD Predom-Polar Wroclaw.
    I would appreciate any help or info
    Thanx

Post Likes
    Absorbtion units typically have hrdrogen gas, water and anhydrous ammonia in them. I just take them to the disposal company and have them classified as haz mat. Your other option is to remove the refrigerant yourself,,,putting the total unit under water in a vat with a hose running makeup water into it, and very carefully break off one of the process tubes while it's under water , the running water will absorb the chemicals and put them down the drain, if it's released under water. There is nothing hazardous about the water after it has absorbed the ammonia, in fact in farm country they inject ammonia into the irrigation water in the same way, for fertilizer.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    If it was not run for some time & the heaters work.
    Try rolling the unit over three or four times & try again.
    It could be that it is vapor locked from setting.
    Take your time & do it right!

Post Likes
    As markwolf has said they get vapor locked most times is the only problem. I usually turn them upside down for 24 hrs. Typically if the charge has leaked out you will see some sort of yellowish discoloration from the leaking spot. Also verify that the heat element works.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Thanx guys, I appreciate the help. I did manage to get it to work but I still think I will scrap the unit anyway, if nothing else to get it out of my hair.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in