Air handler for TRANE XR13

What would be a good air handler match for TRANE XR13 4TTR3048A?
    The air handler will go into the cape cod style attic.
    I want to get an average priced unit.

Thank you!

It depends on what you're looking for--a standard blower or a variable-speed blower. The variable-speed blower is more efficient and can provide more humidity removal with Comfort-R enabled. You can also run the fan constantly at a low speed with the variable-speed blower.

Standard blower:
    4TEC3F48B1000A - 13.00 SEER
    4TEC3F55B1000A - 13.25 SEER

Variable-speed blower:
    4TEE3F49B1000A - 14.00 SEER

What is your contractor proposing?

he says variable speed is a waste of money unless condenser is a Two-Stage.

I could not find 4TEC3F48B1000A, found 4TEC3F48A1000A instead. Does that make any difference?

What would be the price difference between 2/4TEE3F49 and 4TEC3F48?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by alex333 View Post
    he says variable speed is a waste of money unless condenser is a Two-Stage.

I could not find 4TEC3F48B1000A, found 4TEC3F48A1000A instead. Does that make any difference?

What would be the price difference between 2/4TEE3F49 and 4TEC3F48?

Thank you.
    The "B" would just indicate a later revision of the air handler. We can't discuss pricing on this forum per site rules. Variable-speed isn't only for two-stage condensers. It can still provide advantages with single-stage condensers--more efficiency, better humidity control, more comfort, better airflow (in some cases)...

Thank you.

Can we discuss % price difference?

Pricing differs from area to area and company to company. Your contractor's price difference may not be the same as other companies' price differences.

I suggest getting a couple more estimates to compare prices in your area and to get more opinions. How was the system sized? A good system needs to be properly sized with proper ductwork. Is this a new installation or a replacement?

This is a new installation. I had 5 contractors come by. They prices are so far apart that I am having hard time deciding. half of them recommend 4 ton unit, another half says 3 ton will do.

Okay. Being a new installation, proper equipment and ductwork sizing is crucial. Which contractor, if any, did a load calculation (Manual J) and a Manual D to design the ductwork? Sometimes companies will do this once the contract is signed, but a good installation is the most important part. This is what I'd look for in a company, not a company that guesses on the size based on "years of experience." Sizing is determined by insulation, square footage, windows, home orientation/direction, etc...

Unless your in a arid area, VS blowers improve comfort weather your condenser is single stage or 2 stage.
    Contractors that claim VS blowers are only for 2 stage systems. Generally don't know how to set a VS blower up right.

If they are doing load calcs.
    You are gambling with your money and comfort.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?