Thread: Air Handler ?

Hybrid View

Air Handler ?

I've got a 4 ton Trane xl16i 2 stage system with zone dampers so we are able to have 2 zones, upper and lower. I have a variable speed Trane AH and thermostat by honeywell.

3 Q's

My AH keeps the same speed if 1 or both zones are calling for air, thus resulting in a jet engine sound if only 1 zone is calling for air, but sounding fine when both zones are calling for air. Shouldn't the A/H speed change based on whether 1 or both zones are calling for air?

the tech also told me to always leave the fan in the "on" rather than "auto" positions...does this make sense with 2 zones? wouldn't that by default cause both zones to get cooled air if 1 zone is calling?

Lastly, a friend has the same unit (but only 1 zone) and his tech told him he must use the trane t-stat to work properly. I noticed that trane has a t-stat for 2 stage cooling...would that make a diff?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by njhusky View Post
    I've got a 4 ton Trane xl16i 2 stage system with zone dampers so we are able to have 2 zones, upper and lower. I have a variable speed Trane AH and thermostat by honeywell.

3 Q's

My AH keeps the same speed if 1 or both zones are calling for air, thus resulting in a jet engine sound if only 1 zone is calling for air, but sounding fine when both zones are calling for air. Shouldn't the A/H speed change based on whether 1 or both zones are calling for air?

the tech also told me to always leave the fan in the "on" rather than "auto" positions...does this make sense with 2 zones? wouldn't that by default cause both zones to get cooled air if 1 zone is calling?

Lastly, a friend has the same unit (but only 1 zone) and his tech told him he must use the trane t-stat to work properly. I noticed that trane has a t-stat for 2 stage cooling...would that make a diff?

Thanks in advance
    let's assume you have a zone controller

1.do you have a bypass damper, sounds like you need one, or the one you have needs adjustment

2.depending on how your controller is wired it should go to low speed when 1 zone is calling provided the stat is not set too low

3.dont leave fan to "on" unless if you want to bring up humidity level in your house which would be odd

4.many different t-stats can be utilized with most zone controllers, so most likely you dont need a Trane t-stat

The Trane stat is a rebranded Honeywell stat.

Your zone panel and 16i are probably not wired right.

Running the blower in the on position has no effect on the not calling zone when the other zone is calling. After the call though, both zones will even out in temp.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I do have a bypass damper and zone controller (at least they are on my quote)

Appreciate the help---I wish my Hvac co that I pay was as responsive as you guys here that provide me better info gratis...

Note to any homeowners that read this site...get your referrals from people here...if they are willing to help people that don't pay them, imagine what they do for people that actually pay them. I wish I did

IAppreciate the help---I wish my Hvac co that I pay was as responsive as you guys here that provide me better info gratis.

donations are gladly accepted!

see if you can post your invoice for the work done, blank out the name of the company and any prices!

initially it sounds like you have a wanna-be zone system

i am not trying to scare you but;

an improperly installed wanna-be zone system can damage your equipment

Airmechanical-here is the quote (without info)

Here is the quote...appreciate any comments/suggestions/issues you or others see
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't see where it says anything about a bypass damper.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

ya, you have a zone controller, but no bypass damper installed, unless they just installed it and did not list it!

explain to your installing company about your jet sound coming out of the grills

maybe they can adjust the controller so that if only 1 zone is calling then only low speed will run

or they may decide either to adjust the bypass damper or install a bypass damper and set it up properly!

also ask them to explain to you the operation of your 2 speed system

mistakes are probably made daily on zone system's, it's complicated and only gets easier after each install

there is 100 different ways to install and set-up zone system's, unfortunately only a few ways will work properly

Here is the quote...appreciate any comments/suggestions/issues you or others see
    4TTX4048 condenser matched with a 4TEE3F49 air handler is a Trane XL14i, not a 16i.

ARI# 1105928.
    14.75 SEER, 11.8 EER
    www.ARIDirectory.org

This is NOT what you were quoted.

The 16i is 4TTX6048.

Check the condenser (outside unit) and see if it is a 14i or 16i.

Good luck.

I wish my Hvac co that I pay was as responsive as you guys here that provide me better info gratis...
    I second that - we wish they were as responsive AND knowledgeable as the free help we get here!

Dennis

Dwynne--looks like air mechanical is a Vol too.

Quote Originally Posted by dwynne View Post
    I second that - we wish they were as responsive AND knowledgeable as the free help we get here!Dennis
    hey D, where you at in middle tenn. i am in cookeville

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    hey D, where you at in middle tenn. i am in cookeville
    Just outside Nashville. I went to TTU, our daughter went to TTU, our oldest son went to TTU, and our youngest will be starting at TTU next month . So our whole family knows the way to "Cooke-Vegas" and back in our sleep.

I just had a new split system heat pump put in this week, if I had known someone on the board was so close (relatively) I would have asked for a quote. The trip charge probably would have killed it though .

Dennis