Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    We have installed multiples 561/ckc units and as of this minute even in the lightning capital of the USA, not the first explosion have we heard of or experienced. And I have to believe Florida has as creative piece work installers as any other part of the country.

Good Luck

Can they determine exactly what burned up or exploded first? I would think it would be pretty hard for a tech to determine what may happen in the future without more information.

Technician = no

Insurance Investigator = YES!

My bet is on installation and/or service problems.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    Could be the compressor terminals letting go....but three in one complex, all for that reason? Hard to believe.
    That's what I'm thinking. Compressor terminals poping . It is rather odd to have three with the same problems but, it does happen.

Is it just me or are there two threads with the same title from two different people?

One pro member and one newbie...

Are they wired with aluminum wire?

What is it that actually "explodes"?

Contactor? Capacitor? Compressor? Fan motor?

Any chance it's not the unit themselves exploding/catching fire but the service disconnect switches on the side of the structure?

How close are the condensing units to the structure that they are setting the building on fire?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Where are the pictures of the unit?

spoke to county gas man

he said that on the way to the scene he was told one of the two units had been making a strange buzzing/hiss noise earlier that day before the fire started, he thinks whatever was causing that noise made the unit get hot start melting things inside the unit which ignited the freon, which caught the pretreated fencing and mulch around the unit on fire, and then caought the corner of the house on fire. it was not gas related, was ruled out by county and state inspectors. Open for ideas. BTW I spoke to consumer product safety commision who put me intouch with the dept that hands reports for the whole US on A?C units, they sending an investigator to interview me and any of my neighbors who have had issues with there heating and cooling since moving in our homes. I told the lady my thermostat had to be replaced our first summer there moved in Nov 05 and that summer of 06 our compressor was running continuously and froze up our inside unit etc and it turn out our thermostat was bad. Also the people that had the unit just blow up had their thermostat replaced 3 times prior to this incident.
    Last edited by topaz7; 07-10-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: spelling

R-22 is non flammable.

If it got above a certain temp it might be possible to rupture though. IOL and what not should have stopped that long before.

Freon is such an abused word. If the unit had r-22 then the oil in the compressor would actually be what ignited not the "Freon"

Now there are replacement refrigerants that have some flammabilty to them.

The thermostat replacements probably have little to nothing to do with your current concern.

Again pictures word be interessting to see.

I guess it could have been fitted with iso-butanes. Although no to many comp. mfg's I know would suggest or maybe not even warrant this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast