hard start or not, that is the question.

My boss and I disagree. All the training I've had tells me you need a hard start kit on a compressor if it has an indoor txv, and my boss says if it is externally equalized it does not. I'm pretty confident he's wrong, but I can't find the literature to prove my point. I've been doing this twice as long as he has. Any feedback would help. Thanks..

External equalizer has nothing to do with it. If it's a recip, it should have a start kit. If it's a scroll, it doesn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by duckman373 View Post
    External equalizer has nothing to do with it. If it's a recip, it should have a start kit. If it's a scroll, it doesn't need it.
    Is what your saying fact or opinion.Looks as if he is going head to head with the boss so he needs facts.Not saying I disagree.Where could one find this info?That might help him fight that hard headed boss of his.

Now that being said I thought it was o.k. to put a hard start on a scroll if needed.I was told on slow bleeding txv's that even a scroll might need a kick in the butt to start.

It's okay to use a HS on a scroll. That being said, it shouldn't be needed. Non bleed TXV's should be used with recip compressors equipped with HSK's.

As far as an external equalizer is concerned, they are used to ensure the pressure throughout the evaporator is equal while the system is running, and have nothing to do with start up issues.