Thread: Three Fuel ?

Post Likes

Three Fuel ?

Is it possible to have a heat pump with a heat strip plus furnace??

Here is what I'm thinking; If I could have a heat pump w/heat strip, so in defrost mode the strips would come on down to a temp of 32*, where the heat pump and strip is locked out so the furnace would take over.

Is this possible ??

It seems almost a waste to have a furnace kick on for just a few minutes during defrost. How much heat does a furnace even create during defrost?

Post Likes
    Varies with the lenght of defrost cycle, and the BTU of the furnace.

Its possible if you have room for the strip heaters. And can find someone thats good with low voltage wiring.

Post Likes
    I've done it

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

That's exactly how I'm setting up mine -

No way I'm firing a 93% gas furnace for every defrost.

I going to try to not use any heat during defrost as I plan the chnage-over for a fairly mild ambient. But if that is uncomfortable - I have ten KW of electric heat ready to go.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post

I going to try to not use any heat during defrost as I plan the chnage-over for a fairly mild ambient. But if that is uncomfortable - I have ten KW of electric heat ready to go.
    Dude different folks different strokes.Besides down here you don't have that cold of a winter.For some reason that is what the customer wanted so that is what he got.I really didn't see the point but I get paid by the hr.

Post Likes

What do ou considr a mild change over ambient..

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes

Part of the problem is the on-delay time

With a 90+ furnace cycling on - it's probably the better part of five minutes before it is producing any noticable amount of heat. And by then the defrost is likely over anyway.

The electric heat elements are almost instant-on.

For 'mild ambient change-over' I have in mind maybe thirty or thirty-five degrees. But like so many things in my Life there will, no doubt; be some tweaking involved.

Of course; I do live ever in the hope that beenthere will come to my design-rescue, tell me what to do for the best, and so spare me the tedious agony of overcoming my own fumbling attempts at empirical sorting. <g>
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Don't know if I ever seen a 90&#37; furnace take 5 minutes to put out heat.
    2 to 3 minutes though.

Best set up. A unit with On demand defrost. Cuts down on those needless defrost cycles.

You must have a tall basement to get a heat kit in your plenum and be far enough above your coil.

Post Likes

OK - le's call it 2.5 minutes then

And let's say that the defrost time on the HP will be maybe five to ten? So do we really want the furnace starting and then stopping in five or ten minutes? I don't.

Aren't all heat pumps using 'on-demand' defrost now?

My cellar isn't all that tall - but it is sixty feet long.

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Don't know if I ever seen a 90% furnace take 5 minutes to put out heat.
    2 to 3 minutes though.

Best set up. A unit with On demand defrost. Cuts down on those needless defrost cycles.

You must have a tall basement to get a heat kit in your plenum and be far enough above your coil.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Lot of HPs still use time and temp defrost conttrols.

6 one way, half a dozen the other.

May not get to full efficincy in 5 minutes. But the furnace putting heat into the evap coil, also shortens teh defrost time, by heating up teh OD coil quicker.

Electric strip after the coil, 100&#37; efficiency right aways, but adds no heat to the ID coil, so the OD coil takes longer to defrost.

Which method is better, will depend on your rates, winter OD ambient conditions.

Post Likes

so how about if I put the strip before the coil?

Wouldn't that give me the best of both concepts?

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Lot of HPs still use time and temp defrost conttrols.

6 one way, half a dozen the other.

May not get to full efficincy in 5 minutes. But the furnace putting heat into the evap coil, also shortens teh defrost time, by heating up teh OD coil quicker.

Electric strip after the coil, 100% efficiency right aways, but adds no heat to the ID coil, so the OD coil takes longer to defrost.

Which method is better, will depend on your rates, winter OD ambient conditions.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Yes it would.

How practical it is to do it. I guess would be dependant on the install set up.

But should for all practical purposes give you shorter defrost cycles, and tempered air temps during those defrost cycles.

Let us know how it works in the real world. Cause it does look good on paper.

Post Likes

Wouldn't that give me the best of both concepts?

PHM
    ---------
    all that dust burning off the heaters at the beggining of the season getting impacted in the evaporator

Post Likes
    Most of that dust will go through the dry coil.
    If it was wet, then more of it would stay on the coil.

Post Likes
    Ok, learning time for a homeowner. At what OD temp is a HP defrost necessary??

Post Likes
    Depends on outdoor humidity. And varies with the HP a bit.

Generally under 40&#176;F. but once in a while it can happen above 40.

Post Likes
    most homes in Bucks county have a plenum on top of the furnace which feeds a tee and goes in both directions to feed the conditioned space. You could easily install strip heat in each side of the tee, and interlock those so that on a call for defrost, these are enabled, and controlled off of discharge air temp. These could be staged for better control, or even done with an SCR if you want to get real fancy. Depends on which part of bucks you live in and how big your lawn is I suppose.....

Post Likes

I'm trusting the EAC's to keep the strip heaters clean

One problem with the strips before the evap coil is that then I can't use it for reheat.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    No, but pre heat can still increase humidity control.

Post Likes

One problem with the strips before the evap coil is that then I can't use it for reheat.
    i seem to remeber a lot of your posts about reheat (i assume for dehumidification) or to cut down on system cycling

strip heat makes for some very expensive reheat

you ought to look into heat pipe technology

it cost zero to operate heat pipe reheat!

i used to be involved with the installation of heat pipes in miami fl.

look at this link for kicks, its very interesting, of course initial installation is a bit pricey

http://www.heatpipe.com/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in