Roof versus Ground

7/8/2008

My a/c motor failed the evening before a 104 degree day in southwest Washington State.
    I have a gas furnace in the basement and my electric a/c that failed was on the roof of a garage.
    My question is:
    Would it be better to replace the a/c with a heat pump and keep it on the roof as one company proposed, or
    to put the new heat pump on the ground outside a bathroom window where it would have a shorter run to the furnace area than before.

I do not understand if there are advantages or disadvantages to having a heat pump on the ground versus being on the roof. I have a flat roof on the garage.
    ( Mediterranean/Spanish style house)

Thanks

On the ground closer to the indoor unit.
    They are installing a new indoor coil, right.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

thanks for the reply

yes there will be a new indoor coil and the run will be shorter

Definitely on the ground. Now if they are ripping out everything that you have and installing a package gas pack then it would depend on how they could get to your ductwork the best. My guess is probably not the latter so on the ground. Did the company give you a reason for putting it on the roof.

let them put on the ground. personally, i would go back duel fuel (heat pump w/gas back-up) best of both worlds!!

That may be what he is doing.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

they would be putting the heat pump on a new cement pad and there would be an easy route through the wall into the basement to get to the furnace. I would use the existing gas furnace as backup for the heat pump. There are also relatively low electric rates around here because of the dams on the river.
    I am not sure why the a/c was on the roof. I was not involved with that decision. The old a/c was 14 years old