Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    I think some of the problem with my home is its shape; picture a big, square donut. We've got a large courtyard in the center of the home, which means I have twice the number of exterior walls as a "regular" house. Also, there is no continuous attic between the "public" side of the house - kitchen, dining, laundry, etc. - and the "private" side (bedrooms). I don't think a single set of ductwork would've worked in our case without some significant reworking of the floorplan and/or interior details.

Contractor was "AT" in Tomball.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    ADT I just read through this thread. You have more than double the A/C capacity you need for your home. I just did a SIP home in your area; 2400 sq.ft. 17,700 BTU's total load 11,700 Latent and 6,000 sensible. We installed a Bryant Evolution two stage 2-ton with three stage heat strips (heat load was only 2,200 BTU’s) and a UHC90 Therma Stor dehumidifier.

First off you should of had a single two stage system installed most likely a 4-ton but would need to verify with load calc. I am not a fan of the AprilAire unit Therma-Stor is much better and more efficient and one UHC150 would have done the whole house and they have a very nice programmable control.

Depending on your current ductwork it may be possible to install a zoned system which would allow for a smaller system.

What are the initials of the installing company?
    you would be a good guy to go and take a look classical.

But even with his system being oversized he does have a fair bit of dehumidifying capacity , two aprilaire units and yet there is a humidity problem.

I have heard the hype on the thermastor and the kwh per pint ratings but nothing much more than hype to back it up. Aprilaire is publishing a wide range of moisture removal capacity over many different entering air conditions, thermastor seems to stick with just the 80F & 60% rating.

Classical -

Just checked out your website; should I call you, or your location in Conroe? I'm in High Meadow Ranch, between Magnolia and Tomball.

P.S. - Why doesn't this board have a "private message" feature? Was that a conscious decision?

However considering ADT's description of the home two small DH units may have been the only option.

ADT even with the donut shape and extra exterior walls I doubt that would be a significant factor. What are the wall R-values and the ceiling/roof R-values?

If you had 2-stage equipment and it ran in low stage for 11 hours a day you would be much more comfortable and use far less energy than oversized single stage units running under 5 hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by adt2 View Post
    Classical -

Just checked out your website; should I call you, or your location in Conroe? I'm in High Meadow Ranch, between Magnolia and Tomball.

P.S. - Why doesn't this board have a "private message" feature? Was that a conscious decision?
    The Aire Serv in Conroe is not my company they are another Franchisee and do not necessarily share my expertise; so call me.

I don't know about the private feature.

I honestly cannot remember the R-values of the insulation. I have about a 50-50 split of 4" and 6" exterior walls. They are packed from exterior sheathing to interior stud face with open-cell foam (BioBase). Roof insulation is from underside of roof decking to beyond the bottom face of the rafters (i.e., not shaved down after installation).

I almost forgot about this, but there are a ton of photos of the house while it was under construction at www.flickr.com/photos/adt2. May or may not be helpful.

I believe they said its disabled to promote open communication. For all to learn.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Are you should you have dehumidifiers, or are they just fresh air dampers.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I've got two of each. I had to have them come back about a month after we moved in (two years ago this month) and install the dehumes because the house was so muggy. I told them then that there was too much A/C in the house.

Also have two fresh air dampers which were installed when the original equipment was installed.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    ADT I just read through this thread. You have more than double the A/C capacity you need for your home. I just did a SIP home in your area; 2400 sq.ft. 17,700 BTU's total load 11,700 Latent and 6,000 sensible. We installed a Bryant Evolution two stage 2-ton with three stage heat strips (heat load was only 2,200 BTU’s) and a UHC90 Therma Stor dehumidifier.

First off you should of had a single two stage system installed most likely a 4-ton but would need to verify with load calc. I am not a fan of the AprilAire unit Therma-Stor is much better and more efficient and one UHC150 would have done the whole house and they have a very nice programmable control.

Depending on your current ductwork it may be possible to install a zoned system which would allow for a smaller system.

What are the initials of the installing company?
    Still think it is double the capacity after looking at those photos?

Yeah, during construction, that room (the one I assume you're referring to) became known as the "Oh-my-God room" (or, the more colorful "holy sh*t! room"). Everybody wanted to know when I was going to install the basketball hoops. We have seriously considered putting a ceiling in this room at 12' to get the A/C situation under control. For what it's worth, that room is 41' x 21' with a 22' plate height and a 26' vaulted ceiling. Also, it sounds like the batcave.

An elaborate home for sure.

You have some externally shaded glass, some without being externally shaded.

Your doors are all about 8 feet high

You cannot see the ceiling at all in many photos, never mind the bat cave. So you have close to double the volume that your square footage indicates.

You may not need ten tons, but it is not exactly a ton for every 400 square feet either.

All the doors are 8'. All the eave overhangs are 2.5' - 3'. There are about 60 windows, totaling about 1000sf of glazing (all vinyl low-e double-pane etc.). Approximately 159sf of insulated glass on the exterior doors. Approximately 136sf of east-facing windows. Approximately 207sf of west-facing windows. Lots of big porches (about 2500sf of covered porch). Ceilings throughout are 12', except for one small section of hallway where a return air is located, which is at 10', plus the batcave at 22'-26' and the guest room at 18'-22' (it's a smaller version of the batcave).

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast