Thread: Can you explain these number?

Post Likes

Talking Can you explain these number?

I had my A/C check up today and I got numbers from the tech.
    Even though he said, I don't have a problem, I am cursious what the numbers mean. My unit is getting old and I kind of want to know if that will be good idea to replace my system before break-down. Since the quote I got from the A/C tech was more than I was gussing, I wish to use this system for at least another year. Mine is 14 years Goodman Model 4100 4ton.

Return air F: 78
    Delivered F: 57
    Outside Air : 87
    Discharge: 240
    Compressor Amp/rated 17/21
    Condensor Amp/rated 19/1.3

Any help is appreciated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by yunrowlett View Post
    Even though he said, I don't have a problem, I am cursious what the numbers mean. My unit is getting old and I kind of want to know if that will be good idea to replace my system before break-down. Since the quote I got from the A/C tech was more than I was gussing, I wish to use this system for at least another year. Mine is 14 years Goodman Model 4100 4ton.

Condensor Amp/rated 19/13

Any help is appreciated.
    you have 78f return air (usally or close to room temp)
    supply air 57f (blowing air out)
    outside temp 87f
    discharge 240 psi (pressure of high side of the system
    Sink or Swim!
    A Man has to know his limitations..
    To be old and wise, one must be young and dumb..

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by yunrowlett View Post

Condensor Amp/rated 19/1.3
    Any help is appreciated.

something dont look right on them rated condenser amps

prolly supposed to be 1.9/1.3

he could have gave more info, allthough some techs don't even give you that much!

Post Likes

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by yorkdude View Post
    you have 78f return air (usally or close to room temp)
    supply air 57f (blowing air out)
    outside temp 87f
    discharge 240 psi (pressure of high side of the system
    Are those normal?...including compressor AMP..
    Since mine is getting old, i am kind of worried about compressor going out this summer.

Post Likes
    It's 14 years old. Its about that time to think about replacing. The unit might run another 5 years or 5 days. Nobody can tell. Hell, you really can't tell on a new one anymore. You can either bite the bullet and install a new one now or later. It's up to you. You might install a new one and the compressor die in a year also, chances are slim, but always possible.

Post Likes
    If it is 14 years old and still giving good service, I'd start budgeting to replace it, but I wouldn't be worried about doing it tomorrow. Start saving and preparing today and it just might run until you have the money to replace it in the bank. I have a Goodman heatpump installed in 1991 and a air conditioner with a furnace installed in 1992 and both are running right now, but one can only guess at how much longer they are going to run.

Post Likes
    I'm not a pro, but when I had my unit checked, I was told that my compressor was amping high (and it actually went bad shortly thereafter). I believe he said that the compressor amperage should be 2/3 of the maximum under most circumstances. Is this right? If so, then it sounds like his compressor is drawing a lot of power, likely due to old age? He did say that it didn't mean the compressor was going to die soon necessary.

Post Likes
    not to scare you, because it may be written down wrong, but it appears your condenser fan motor might be slightly over amping, maybe weak capacitor or failing bearings, did he mention this? , and yes I do know there should be a period between the 1 and 9

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I'm not a pro, but when I had my unit checked, I was told that my compressor was amping high (and it actually went bad shortly thereafter). I believe he said that the compressor amperage should be 2/3 of the maximum under most circumstances. Is this right? If so, then it sounds like his compressor is drawing a lot of power, likely due to old age? He did say that it didn't mean the compressor was going to die soon necessary.
    Well you cant go off of that theory entirely. It has a rating for a reason, and her compressor is 3+ amps below that, outdoor ambient will affect the pressures and thus affect the amp draw.

Post Likes
    yunrowlett, You have to understand, those that do this type of work hear this all the time, "Oh, I plan to replace it next year" , and it seems like few do. Given the age of the system you would be wise to do as you said, and replace it before you have a failure, and you just have to grab the first available company and equipment, because you are tired of sitting in a hot house. I think if you talk to a knowledgable technician about the equipment currently being offered, you will be pleasantly suprised about the features and efficiencies available. Start looking, and commit to a time frame. Good luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    something dont look right on them rated condenser amps

prolly supposed to be 1.9/1.3

he could have gave more info, allthough some techs don't even give you that much!

The condenser amps are the read from the data plate. It should include the compressor as well as the fan motor and controls. So if the compressor is 17 amps, the condenser would be about 19 amps.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ckone180 View Post
    The condenser amps are the read from the data plate. It should include the compressor as well as the fan motor and controls. So if the compressor is 17 amps, the condenser would be about 19 amps.
    that's not how the nameplate works

you may be confusing the min/max circuit ampacity

oh, ya on a normal residential system, the controls are fed from the x-former in the airhandler

the nameplate will list

compressor amp draw
    condenser motor amp draw
    min. circuit ampacity
    max. circuit ampacity
    voltage
    phase
    hertz
    and a few other tid bits

but there is no listing on the nameplate for the sum of the added compressor and condenser amps!

Post Likes
    I know I just may not be familiar with the product, but what is a Goodman 4100?
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    that's not how the nameplate works

you may be confusing the min/max circuit ampacity

oh, ya on a normal residential system, the controls are fed from the x-former in the airhandler

the nameplate will list

compressor amp draw
    condenser motor amp draw
    min. circuit ampacity
    max. circuit ampacity
    voltage
    phase
    hertz
    and a few other tid bits

but there is no listing on the nameplate for the sum of the added compressor and condenser amps!

Not all unit tags are the same. Especially older units. Good point though. I take the blame.
    Last edited by ckone180; 07-09-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in