Thread: HELP, Did I hurt my AC by going on and off

Post Likes

HELP, Did I hurt my AC by going on and off

Ok I have a Carrier AC unit that is about 3 yrs old. My new Rheem furnace has a LuxPro stat. When the stat is in the "cool" mode and the ac goes off I notice that it takes about 5 minutes to restart, not sure if it does this all the time??

Now by accident the first time and to check if it really happened the 2nd time I shut the switch from cool to off but then turned it right back to cool and bumped the temp down and the ac came on.

I then remembered it is not supposed to do this so I shut it off. Then like an idiot I tried it again to see IF that was what happened and it was.

So...did I hurt anything by doing this twice ??? I know I shouldnt do this right ??

I assume that the delay is built in the stat and when we shut the switch to off it reset the stat because when you stay in the cool mode and it goes of and you bump the temp down it will wait the 5 minutes to come back on

Hope I didnt hurt anything...

Post Likes
    Can't say you did, can't say you didn't.

But I wouldn't do that any more.

Post Likes
    Dude...

What were you thinkin???

haha. Just playin. Hard to tell. Can't tell from here. If it still works, then I guess let it ride. If it don't work, call your tech.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    it seems to work fine, the temp diff is 15-16 degs between the hot and cold registers

I also chgd the temp swing from 1dg to 1-1/2 deg as I felt it was coming on too soon after going off

Post Likes
    I'll take some guidance and information with a side of DIY....

and some skittles

Dude!!!!

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    The 5 minute delay is the compressor protection on the stat. Even then there is sometimes a compressor protection circuit in the outdoor unit. Safe to say a couple times will not hurt your outdoor unit anyway. What can hurt it is when it happens like 20 times and the compressor is going on and off like crazy. Then you can ruin your windings in your compressor so you are fine.

Post Likes
    good call bikerdude............................

ha!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    good call bikerdude............................

ha!
    Dude,
    The bike man said you can short cycle a compressor like almost 20 times before you hurt it.

Is that like, a 20 amp breaker can trip 19 times before you need to change it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Dude,
    The bike man said you can short cycle a compressor like almost 20 times before you hurt it.

Is that like, a 20 amp breaker can trip 19 times before you need to change it.
    No. Once it trips 20 times, it trips the main.....which is master reset...All runways clear. The pattern is full ghostrider.

Dude. I like short cycling compressors.....Its my little game called

LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS THIS TIME?!?!?!?!

Post Likes
    It can go at least 29 times...I've seen it...

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by crzymtrbiker View Post
    The 5 minute delay is the compressor protection on the stat. Even then there is sometimes a compressor protection circuit in the outdoor unit. Safe to say a couple times will not hurt your outdoor unit anyway. What can hurt it is when it happens like 20 times and the compressor is going on and off like crazy. Then you can ruin your windings in your compressor so you are fine.

does every stat have a delay

Post Likes
    man, dude is hitting the fan.

Post Likes
    I seen a Goodman outdoor unit with a Lux stat cycling like 5 times every minute, then it would run about 10 minutes and cycle another 5 times in a minute. The customer said it had been doing it for about 3 weeks before she decided to call and have it checked. When it was cycling on and off you could hear the stat clicking, so after changing the stat and the contactor the system ran fine. I could hardly believe the compressor had taken that beating for that length of time and continued to run...at least for now.

Post Likes
    The only thing I can recommend, is having a talk with the compressor, it is probably feeling a little confused and vulnerable right now. Oh yeah. DUDE

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    The only thing I can recommend, is having a talk with the compressor, it is probably feeling a little confused and vulnerable right now. Oh yeah. DUDE
    I agree you might have been blowing it off to play with your pretty t-stat with lights bells and whistles.I would be devastated as well.

Post Likes
    Sorry forgot to add DUDE.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RDP View Post
    Sorry forgot to add DUDE.
    Dude... how'd you forget?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Dude... how'd you forget?
    Dude I'm sorry please don't vote me off the island...............DUDE

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
    Ok I have a Carrier AC unit that is about 3 yrs old. My new Rheem furnace has a LuxPro stat. When the stat is in the "cool" mode and the ac goes off I notice that it takes about 5 minutes to restart, not sure if it does this all the time??

Now by accident the first time and to check if it really happened the 2nd time I shut the switch from cool to off but then turned it right back to cool and bumped the temp down and the ac came on.

I then remembered it is not supposed to do this so I shut it off. Then like an idiot I tried it again to see IF that was what happened and it was.

So...did I hurt anything by doing this twice ??? I know I shouldnt do this right ??

I assume that the delay is built in the stat and when we shut the switch to off it reset the stat because when you stay in the cool mode and it goes of and you bump the temp down it will wait the 5 minutes to come back on

Hope I didnt hurt anything...

185 posts on this wonderful site and your still running that brand of stat?? Come on DUDE time to get with the program!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in