Unhappy Replace compressor when there is no problem?

I had a A/C tech come over today for maintenance check up.
    He think everything seems okay. I have new evaporator coil installed four years ago and change a filter almost every month during summer time.

However, after I told I had a trouble one a couple weeks ago with A/C that was not performing very well around 5-7 P.M . He says the compressor is very old and recommends me to replace the whole outside unit. He think it's an early sign of compressor failure. He suggested compressor start-up kit to help compressor work better or replace the whole outside unit.

I haven't had any problem with my A/C ever except for contactor once.
    Should I replace the unit? It seem quite expensive to replace outside unit when it still works just fine normally except one case.

Currently I have Good man 3/5 ton outside unit that was installed in 1991, new evaporator coil (carrier) was installed 3 years ago. I am located in Garland, Texas

The A/C unit suggested is Tappin ( I haven't seen this brand before) 4 ton keeping the evaportor coil in attic.

If you replace the outdoor unit you would need to replace the indoor coil also. Systems come as a matched set and there is no way of knowing otherwise what you might be getting.

That being said, did the tech diagnosis a problem with the unit or is he just guessing off of what you said? If the compressor is starting ok then there should be no need for a hard start. Did they check the amperage to see if it was high? If they said everything was ok then why the need for a new unit?

With a 17 year old unit it is time to start thinking about a new system but you should not need to jump into anything quickly. Get some competive bids from good contractors and start saving for a system.
    Its a good Life!

Might want a second opinion.

If you do get a new A/C.
    You don't want a Tappan condenser on a Carrier coil.
    You won't get teh efficiency or capacity.
    Plus, Tappan won't honor the compressor warranty if you mix and match with non ARI approved matches.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for the answer.

He did check amperage or pressure and said they seem okay when he was checking. Compress was working fine when he checked my unit.

My A/C has been working fine except for one evening when outside temp was 99. The everning, A/C came back on after I turned it off and turned it back on.

So..is it really early sign of compressor failure I need to worry about?

I am hoping I can wait till slow season so that I can get a better deal.

Doesn't mean the compressor is going bad.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?