Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yea. And number 1 is the easier, and less expensive way.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

dash & beenthere - thanks for the suggestions of increasing the static, especially on the return rather than at each branch. A static of 1.1 should put me where I want to be (at 550 CFM on low) so I'll give it a try. It'll be a lot easier to open a single return control/damper for heat rather than fiddle with each branch duct damper setting for both heat and cooling and it won't screw up the existing settings. You assistance is very much appreciated. Thanks to all the helpful folks for your suggestions.

the simple and best solution IMO was given, put in a restrictive filter

it will work 2 fold it will slow down the airflow while pulling out a bunch of dust

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by vstoyko View Post
    dash & beenthere - thanks for the suggestions of increasing the static, especially on the return rather than at each branch. A static of 1.1 should put me where I want to be (at 550 CFM on low) so I'll give it a try. It'll be a lot easier to open a single return control/damper for heat rather than fiddle with each branch duct damper setting for both heat and cooling and it won't screw up the existing settings. You assistance is very much appreciated. Thanks to all the helpful folks for your suggestions.
    Soory ,thought you knew what a plenum is.

"A restriction of a piece of metal ,slide into the supply or return plenum ,usually does the trick,remove when the furnace is operating."

Your cheapest solution as others have said is to increase the blockage either by installing a higher pressure drop filter, imposing a damper in the main duct or do something else to increase the ESP. You can't decrease the flow wiithout increasing the ESP for the same motor and RPM setting.
    And don't worry about what the mfr says about not exceeding 0.5".since when you do this you actually put LESS load on the motor and it draws less power.
    Finallly, just to clear up some misconception, the ESP recommended by the mfr is used for designing NEW ductwork and verifying the flowrate; it is measured at the blower motor's HIGHEST speed. You already have the ductwork and you are not interested in maintaining the design cfm, so holding the .5" is for average cases, not your special case.
    You wnat to increase it with the same motor . I don't recommend a smaller motro since you will need to change it back in the winter.

[QUOTE=I would be better off dumping air into the basement from the supply before the coil (by using damper before the coil) to reduce the CFM over the coil but this is very much a hack method and not for me. I'm a Chevy type of guy, doesn't have to be too fancy to please me but it better work correctly.

If there's no magic solution, as I had suspected prior to posting, my plan is to rheostat the motor on low speed and when/if it fails due to low voltage effect have it rewound so it will provide a more acceptable RPM/CFM. I think this is a more practical and cost effective approach than converting to ECM at this time.

[/QUOTE]

Congratulations,
    Those are 2 of the worst " solutions" Ihave ever seen., especially burning up a motor with low voltage.
    You are a lot smarter than that.
    Reread all of the suggestions of the pros. Your problem is not as big a deal as you think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12