Thread: no man j-options?

Post Likes

no man j-options?

OK, I have a question about the 'mythical' man J. I say mythical because for myself, and it seems lots of others, finding a contractor to do a proper load calc is impossible.
    Say you are going with VS indoor and 2 stage outdoor gear, higher end. Only available in 1 ton increments. Do you go for 2 tons, with the idea that if you end up short you swap out the outdoor unit for a 3 ton model the next year(yes, you picked an indoor unit and sized the cooper with the thought that this might happen) OR do you go for a 3 ton unit with the idea that if you are over you install a whole house dehu to drop the humidity.
    I know there are holes in this scenario, but thought that if it generated some comments from the HVAC pros on the site it might be helpful to homeowners.

Thanks in advance!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Just size it correctly the first time.Can't aford to swap it out later,and no need to not size it right.

Post Likes
    I would go with a 3 ton. You seem to be worrying about a 1/2 ton difference. With a vs indoor unit and a 2 stage outdoor unit you should be able to configure it to suit your specific needs. Than if it still doesnt remove enough of your latent load, you should consider a whole house dehumidifier.

Just my opinion, good luck

Post Likes
    If this is what your thinking of doing. Your on the road to disaster.

Don't think I know of any customer that would want to pay for a 3 ton the next year, if a 2 ton doesn't work.

Post Likes
    beenthere,
    For my project I am not thinking of doing this, just thought I would ask and generate some discussion on the options. However, it wouldn't be an entire swap, just maybe, what, 25% more to go from 2 ton outdoor to 3 ton outdoor?
    dash,
    I agree with sizing it correctly the first time, but here on HVAC-TALK man J, D, and S are common. In lots of other places the homeowners have no hope of getting close to what you and other pros here can offer in the way of proper equipment choice, duct work, and high quality install.
    I like reading most of the threads here and thought I would toss out a question a little different so as to get some discussion/comments. Maybe it is so far off base that it is ridiculous to consider?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 7echo View Post
    beenthere,
    For my project I am not thinking of doing this, just thought I would ask and generate some discussion on the options. However, it wouldn't be an entire swap, just maybe, what, 25% more to go from 2 ton outdoor to 3 ton outdoor?
    dash,
    I agree with sizing it correctly the first time, but here on HVAC-TALK man J, D, and S are common. In lots of other places the homeowners have no hope of getting close to what you and other pros here can offer in the way of proper equipment choice, duct work, and high quality install.
    I like reading most of the threads here and thought I would toss out a question a little different so as to get some discussion/comments. Maybe it is so far off base that it is ridiculous to consider?
    What would be done with the first unit?No real market for it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    What would be done with the first unit?No real market for it.
    Agreed, no real market. Give it to the contractor, donate it to habitat for humanity or a similar outfit, put it by the street and see how long it lasts : )

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 7echo View Post
    Agreed, no real market. Give it to the contractor, donate it to habitat for humanity or a similar outfit, put it by the street and see how long it lasts : )
    That would be more then 25% wasted ,in dollars.

Post Likes
    The coil for the 2 ton would be too small for teh 3 ton. So you would be replacing OD unit and evap coil, might get away with using same blower.
    If its a house that didn't have A/C before the 2 ton was installed. You would also be paying for ductwork to be redone.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in