Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stopped by a Trane (aka American standard)

The a/s clean air effects filter has just fallen off the end of our a/s 80% horizontal furnace. It has been attached for approx one year to the return side of the furnace and has worked properly (as has the furnace) for that time. I recently had two services on the unit. On the last service call the tech shimmied the angle of the condenser enclosure to correct a backward flow of water (which was filling the emergency drain pan). The enclosure is now angled correctly downward and to the right - the same direction as the drainpipe. My guess is that this force applied to the left side of the horizontal unit cracked the seal around the electronic air filter on the right end of the furnace (but it's only a guess).

So - here are my questions...is this electronic air filter intended to hang off of the furnace and simply be attached with the standard tape and goo or should it also be supported in come way underneath the unit? Can anyone tell me what the A/S or Trane recommendation for this installation? Are these units prone to detachment from the furnace? What would be another reason for this failure?

One final question, what is the secret to putting the door back on this unit? It is a bear.

Thanks

ps - the entire unit is just one year old and has worked great to this point. Any problem we have had has been installation related so the subject really should read "stopped by an installation" but then would any Trane or A/S experts want to have read it....

The filter is supposed to be screwed to the unit. Tell your slacking installers to come back out and secure the filter properly.

As for the filter door, while they are there have them tweak the tabs that catch the filter frame open a little bit more. This will allow the filter door to install more easily. The newer filters had a design change directly related to this issue.

Screwed to the unit certainly makes sense. Are there any mounting brackets to do this or are we simply talking sheet metal screws?

Also - thanks for the tips on the door - can a new door be ordered for this unit?

Thanks!

Trane actually sends sheet metal screws with the Clean Effects for mounting the filter. Your installers were just to lazy to do it properly, or they taped it for a temporary hold and forgot to screw it later, mistakes happen.

As for the door, there is no reason to replace the door. The 2 tabs that are on the door just need to be tweaked a tad to allow it to fit easier to the filter housing. Let your installers do this when they fix your filter, that way if for some reason the tab breaks it's on them.

The tabs are pretty stout so I doubt that they would break, but if it does and they break it, it would be covered.

On a horizontal installation, the air cleaner should be screwed to the furnace, and it needs to be supported so the opening for the filters and door is square.

If it is not properly supported, the weight of the return duct connection will pull the filter housing out of square, which makes it difficult to get the door off and on. "Tweaking" of the 2 tabs should not be needed if the filter housing is squared up properly.

Got pictures if your installation?
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Are you sure it isnt screwed on the inside? Seems like the filter, plenum, ductwork sure would be heavy for tape and mastic to hold up. On the door make sure the filter rack is square. The doors are very hard to put back on if not.

It needs screwed to the unit. At the very least if they were going to use hard cast and glue was to support it with foam blocks, 2x4's or something.

If it is horizontal left, installer's guide says take the baffle out according to specs, but water still flies off the coil (a-coil). Is anyone using the horizontal right baffle on horiz. left installs? I know the engineers say you don't need one, but when you are in an attic and servicing a AHU full of water, I question that.

Martlet--just thinking of why your unit is full of water. Clean Effects/AccuClean's hate water.........

thanks to all for comments. the digital camera was off-site today with the teen. will attempt pic's tomorrow.

regarding my water problem - it fortunately was limited to the left side of the furnace - so the water never got near the clean effects filter.

folks - i want to extend my thanks once again to all of the pros on this site - I have learned so much from the comments here. It has really made a difference over the years between having good hvac systems in the house and having very good systems and most importantly knowing the difference between the two.

will post pics (or attempt to anyway) tomorrow.

Here are pictures of my A/S system. The surface of the CleanEffects unit is smooth. Can anyone tell me where the screws will go to attach it to the furnace?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Now that I'm out of my attic I can see what looks like screws in the side of the furnace in the photo. Is that how the filter needs to be attached?

Thanks

Wow, that aint right.

Ask your contractor for the installation operation and maintenance manual that came with the air cleaner. This booklet is yours and it says it's to remain with the homeowner right on the cover.

It (the manual) has pictures in it that shows where the screws are supposed to be installed in an application such as yours as well as how it is supposed to be supported so the unit will not rack (this caused the door not to fit correctly). What has happened in your attic should not have, if the directions were followed it would not have.

Good luck.
    Ed J

This problem has nothing to do with a brand name. Totally an install issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast