View Poll Results: How often do you configure or recommend Auto-changeover mode for t-stats.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

9 56.25%
  • Sometimes

2 12.50%
  • Often

2 12.50%
  • Always

3 18.75%

Thread: Auto change over

Post Likes

Auto change over

Question for the pros. How many of you guys configure your t-stats or recommend to your HO they use the Auto-changeover mode instead of manually switching between heat and cool?

Post Likes
    In my neck of the woods, no one ever seems to understand auto changeover even in commercial. I even have one particular client that complains everytime I see him.

Post Likes
    If they live here, Las Vegas, full time I let them change it over; it keeps them involved.

For the once a year visitors I recommend using the auto-changeover.

Barrie

Post Likes
    Ditto with Everett. People seem to want either Heat or Cool. Anything else is too confusing to them....
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Post Likes
    Very few days around here for residential where heating is needed in the morning and cooling in the afternoon. For a house to warm up enough to become uncomfortable in the afternoon when heat was required in the morning indicates marginal insulation and other aspects about the building envelope that need attention. A high interior heat load would result in marginal heating needed in the morning with cooling required in the afternoon due to the building no longer losing heat to the outside, but gaining it to the inside.

For lake houses, second homes, vacant homes for sale, etc. I can see the auto-changeover feature being useful. For a full time occupied residence, not as much.

Post Likes
    I used to feel like shophound, but now I use auto changeover unless asked not to. Even then, I explain that they don't have to use it, but it is nice to have that ability.

Example: The speedometer on my minivan goes up to 120, but it has never actually read that high. When I tell them that, they usually say OK.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    I'm not a pro, just a lowly homeowner, but after I installed my Honeywell VisionPro TH8320 I set it to automatically switch between heating and cooling.

Shortly I switched the setting back to manual because many times the heat would run in the early morning and the cooling would come on in the afternoon of the same day. I thought this condition was very inefficient so I changed the thermostat to the manual setting.

Now, during the transition period in the spring and fall, many times I just don't run either the heat or cool. During this time, unless it become nippy or uncomfortably warm, I just leave the thermostat off.

It works for me.

Post Likes
    Only in commercial applications around here. We don't really need that kind of control in residential.

Post Likes
    I always set up for auto changeover....

When I install an auto changeover stat, where the HO had previously had a manual changeover or a mercury...I ask what setting they would prefer. Then I take the time needed to explain to them how to operate the stat and to call us if they have any questions...

2 years into it, I've only had 1 person call back and say they would like something differnt. And the only reason he didn't like it was cause the installes put the stat a foot too low on the wall and used a stat with very small print. He couldn't read it, he was old. But I got him taken care of.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in