Rusted Drain Pan

I my unit started to leak from the ceiling last night. After doing some poking around I found the culprit is a rusted overflow drain pan. The pan is roughly 24x48x3 in size. My question were would I find a replacement. Would the big boxes carry it or do I need to go to a A/C supply house or have it fabricated by a sheet metal shop. I have also heard that you can also get a fiberglass pan instead of sheetmetal. I thought this would be a standard item but it seems I am incorrect. Could somebody put me on track as to were to secure a replacement pan. Thanks in advance.

Grainraiser

That sounds like an auxiliary or secondary drain pan. You most likely have other drain problems that are internal to coil/unit. And for that pan to be rusted through the problem has existed for some time.

It is the secondary pan. What has me confused is that the holes are about the size of a number 2 pencil. They are not irregular like you should find with a rusted pan. I had this issue about 6 years ago and the HVAC guy was suppose to unclog the drain. I had not had a problem until last night.

Grainraiser

probably has holes right where it was getting dripped on. most of the pans we use now are plastic but as adrianf said you have bigger problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
    It is the secondary pan. What has me confused is that the holes are about the size of a number 2 pencil. They are not irregular like you should find with a rusted pan. I had this issue about 6 years ago and the HVAC guy was suppose to unclog the drain. I had not had a problem until last night.

Grainraiser
    Are you the same Grainraiser from Woodnet? I have the same handle over here as there...just tend to hang out here a lot more now.

The small holes are where the galvanized coating on the secondary drain pan was thin or improperly applied, and the water eroded through it, the metal underneath, and onto your attic floor. If water has been standing in this pan for sometime, even if it was draining out its piping like it should, the primary drain should be checked along with the drain pan being replaced.

last time you had the problem they probably unclogged the primary.

You actually have two problems.

The source of the water ..... and a pan that needs to be patched or replaced.

1. Your drain line should be cleared and flushed at least once a year.

2. Sounds like you have multiple issues....Why is there water in the pan???

3. You need to call a qualified technician. They need to complete troubleshoot the system and determine the causes and come up with a solution to rectify the cause and not just take care of the concern.

The is not a DIY site. Read the rules. Call a technician and have your system serviced. Since it hasn't been done in at least 6 years.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Well I replaced the pan that only solves part of the problem. The main drain has a clog and I will have to call someone out to check it out. In regards to the rules on this forum. I never ask anyone to help me fix the problem. I simply ask was the pan a stock item or would I need to have one fabricated. Shophound I would be the same Grainraiser you know from on the Woodnet. Glad to see your still doing well.

Grainraiser

Quote Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
    Well I replaced the pan that only solves part of the problem. The main drain has a clog and I will have to call someone out to check it out. In regards to the rules on this forum. I never ask anyone to help me fix the problem. I simply ask was the pan a stock item or would I need to have one fabricated. Shophound I would be the same Grainraiser you know from on the Woodnet. Glad to see your still doing well.

Grainraiser
    Thanks, Grain...I'm doing well, but currently a man without a shop. We sold the house last year where I built the shop out back, after I got a new gig in Cowtown three years ago. We bought another place last year, but it has a carport instead of garage, so I'm about to re-enter shop building mode again.

As you've already learned, big box stores don't carry emergency drain pans. A sheet metal shop can make one; some a/c supply houses might carry certain sizes but tend to be wholesale only, selling to licensed contractors and/or their employees. Sounds like you already found a pan but still need the primary drain cleaned.

For future reference, trace out where the secondary drain pipe empties. Often it is to the outdoors, where the pipe emerges from the eave or side of house, allowing the water to drip down past a window or other spot where you might see it. If you ever see water again from this spout, you'll know to get the primary drain looked at, as the secondary pan is only there to save your ceiling from being damaged. It's possible your secondary drain pan has been acting as your primary drain system for some time now, which is why it developed pinhole leaks. Untreated water in the presence of air and certain metals is susceptible to what is known as microbiological induced corrosion, aka MIC. It is an organism that literally eats away at the metal. It will find the slightest weakness in a galvanized coating and attack the metal.

there isnt suppose to be water in it

yes it is an auxillary/ emergency drain pan , and there isnt supose to have water in it so you have other issues, and yes i spent most of my day today in two seperate attice fixing that very problem, it was only 123 degrees in the attics..oh yes sweat much..so call someone but do them a favor and make it an overcast day or request 1st am for theyre sake