Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    8

    Cool DUCANE w/ a RHEEM

    As I dig deeper into the air conditioning world I have been told many times that brand name should not be the deciding factor in choosing a contractor. With that, I have finally settled on a contractor that will be installing a 3TON RHEEM SUPER QUIET 80 FURNACE with a 3 TON DUCANE OUTSIDE CONDENSER UNIT. The contractor says to go with the DUCANE because it is a smaller footprint outside since we live in a condo complex.

    Question: As long as the equipment is the same size and effecency (3TON, 13 SEER ), there shouldn't be any issues with warranties or the function of the two different brands right??????????

    AND........

    Are the 2 condensing units (RHEEM and DUCANE) comparable?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    burlington county n.j.
    Posts
    9,754
    as long as they use a matching ducane evap coil it should be fine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    34,302
    The Ducane would be more comparable to the Rheem cube design, aka WeatherKing. No frills unit but should be OK. No reason you can't combine brands though as 527 said, gotta be a matching Ducane coil. Ducane coils would be same width as the Rheem furnace so no problem there.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NW burbs of Detroit
    Posts
    6,058
    mmmmm

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,874
    Why not go Rheem all the way? Ducane is on the low end of the ladder. I'll bet there isn't but two or three inches difference in the footprints

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    west point, ga.
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Why not go Rheem all the way? Ducane is on the low end of the ladder. I'll bet there isn't but two or three inches difference in the footprints
    I agree 100%.Ducane are nothing but problems and rheems are really a good unit and service friendly.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    623
    I would also go with the rheem, You can get the cube model which is usually 32''x32'' or so, it is comparable to any smaller footprint unit, If you get this in the R410A refirgerant , it will have a copeland scroll compressor with a 7 year warranty. Model # 13AJL-036.
    Last edited by aintitfun; 07-07-2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: 1

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NW burbs of Detroit
    Posts
    6,058
    Quote Originally Posted by RDP View Post
    I agree 100%.Ducane are nothing but problems and rheems are really a good unit and service friendly.
    What have you been smoking? It takes twice as long to clean and get access to the components.

    And I would challenge you to post some statistics to back up your claim that
    Ducane is a bad unit.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    west point, ga.
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    What have you been smoking? It takes twice as long to clean and get access to the components.

    And I would challenge you to post some statistics to back up your claim that
    Ducane is a bad unit.

    Perhaps you can educate me on the technical terminology of "Sucks".
    Just what type of service do you perform to fix "Sucks"?
    Funny I don't remember saying sucks.I am a tech meaning I fix anything put in front of me.That is the kind of service I provide.If you have a hard time with a rheem then you must "suck" as a tech.CHEERS

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,874
    Why not go all Ducane then. They make a good furnace. I've installed them for close to twenty years . I can't remember ever getting a lemon. Condensers, I'll pass on.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NW burbs of Detroit
    Posts
    6,058
    Quote Originally Posted by RDP View Post
    Funny I don't remember saying sucks.I am a tech meaning I fix anything put in front of me.That is the kind of service I provide.If you have a hard time with a rheem then you must "suck" as a tech.CHEERS
    Where did you see sucks in my post. Take another look

    Maybe you just added that to have some fun.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    west point, ga.
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    Where did you see sucks in my post. Take another look

    Maybe you just added that to have some fun.
    That little edit button is pretty fun ain't it.Besides I unlike some people I don't say anything once I won't repeat.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NW burbs of Detroit
    Posts
    6,058
    Sorry I didn't quite get that.

    Little punctuation might make that last statement more comprehendable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event