Why not mount the outside AC/HP unit in my basement?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why not mount the outside AC/HP unit in my basement?

I have an air-source heat pump with all ductwork in the basement. I live in central Pennsylvania. In the summer, if outside temperatures are 85 degrees-100 degrees I want to cool the house to 75 degrees. I have a full underground basement (about 1800 sf) that stays around 65-80 degrees. If my outside HP/AC coils were in the basement (and I had a cold air inlet in the basement) my HP/AC would do much less work, use less electricity and maybe even need a smaller unit than an outside one. Basically going from 65-80 basement degrees to 75 degrees instead of 85-100 outside degrees to 75 degrees.

Same deal for heating in the winter. Outside temps 0-70 degrees outside and 40-60 degrees in basement. Basically going from 40-60 basement degrees to 70 degrees instead of 0-70 outside degrees to 70 degrees. Much less work for the HP.

Where is my logic wrong? What are the problems with doing this (if a professional would actually install it I'm eventually going to need to replace my 18 year-out heat pump and with the rising price of all energy, I thought placing it in the basement could save electricity/heating/cooling costs and initial installation of a smaller unit.
    Thanks in advance!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tkat17 View Post
    I have an air-source heat pump with all ductwork in the basement. I live in central Pennsylvania. In the summer, if outside temperatures are 85 degrees-100 degrees I want to cool the house to 75 degrees. I have a full underground basement (about 1800 sf) that stays around 65-80 degrees. If my outside HP/AC coils were in the basement (and I had a cold air inlet in the basement) my HP/AC would do much less work, use less electricity and maybe even need a smaller unit than an outside one. Basically going from 65-80 basement degrees to 75 degrees instead of 85-100 outside degrees to 75 degrees.

Same deal for heating in the winter. Outside temps 0-70 degrees outside and 40-60 degrees in basement. Basically going from 40-60 basement degrees to 70 degrees instead of 0-70 outside degrees to 70 degrees. Much less work for the HP.

Where is my logic wrong? What are the problems with doing this (if a professional would actually install it I'm eventually going to need to replace my 18 year-out heat pump and with the rising price of all energy, I thought placing it in the basement could save electricity/heating/cooling costs and initial installation of a smaller unit.
    Thanks in advance!
    Tim
    you would have to put a slew of outlets in the basement and if you did not;

in the summer it will end up getting hot in the basement!

in the winter it will end up getting cold in the basement!

Your outdoor unit would over heat your basement.
    Your outdoor unit is rejecting the heat from the entire house, one supply won't do a thing for the basement if the outdoor unit was installed in it.
    You would need a second larger A/C for the basement then.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

nothing wrong at all.......be sure to take some pics.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    nothing wrong at all.......be sure to take some pics.
    LOL..
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You would need a second larger A/C for the basement then.
    and then another one for that one, and so on, and so on

Heat pump in basement........hmmmmmmm

well for one a heat pump is designed to transfer heat from one location to another. which means all the heat pulled from the home will be dumped into the basement. And since here in the good ole USA, heat rises, where do you think it will end up?????

secondly, a heat pump in heat mode will move all the cold air to the basement. Not to mention it will flood your basement with the condensation forming.

I mean, go for it if you want, but don't blame us cause the answer will be "We told ya so"
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Did Rip 1 out of a ceiling

Got a call at the university of Alberta, they needed server room A/C replaced. So when I went to bid on the job found samsung hanging from chains above ceiling tiles just recirculating air. Lasted 2 years. They wanted me to put it back in same place. Told them no warranty. They let me put it on roof. Cost them a little bit more with low ambient kit and roofer.
    Do it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    Got a call at the university of Alberta, they needed server room A/C replaced. So when I went to bid on the job found samsung hanging from chains above ceiling tiles just recirculating air. Lasted 2 years. They wanted me to put it back in same place. Told them no warranty. They let me put it on roof. Cost them a little bit more with low ambient kit and roofer.
    I think we need a new title for mr 21degrees......

Professional Hijacker

haha j/k good story though
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

They were pissed at me

This winter it was -42 * c and unit would not work with kit was only rated for -30*c. Who in the hell would have expected it to get that cold. Lost contract due to that. I was on a cruise ship and my guys could'nt get it going, so I called in another company.
    Do it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post

i seen a couple of minimates set-up like that (exhausting hot air into ceiling) they worked fine for many years!

Even with enough cross ventilation from the outside and a good condensate removal system, the most that would be gained is from keeping the unit out of the elements. There are many instances where heat pumps and condensers are located inside of large buildings with offices built within them. The same basic reasoning is present.

Once the cross ventillation were enough to handle the heat transfer to prevent the heat removal/gain from the heat pump from recirculating through the system, your basement would essentially be the same temperatures as the outdoors.

While the unit may not be exposed to the elements, such as heat from the sun or possible snow/ice build up from snowy or sleeting days, the unit would also not benefit from being washed off by the rain. Still, there are points to ponder on this one.

yeah, yeah, take lots of pictures and post them directly to the "wall of shame". That will be exactly where they belong. Is that idea anything like perpetual motion? Getting something for nothing? Just leave the condensing unit where it is and turn on the sprinkler next to it on hot/cold days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast