Thread: Ice on coils

Ice on coils

Hi all,

I am living in a new condo with a brand new ClimateMaster Genesis Geothermal heat pump.

I noticed last night that the A/C wasn't working. I checked it this morning, and there was a huge block of ice that had formed on the coils (took up about 1/3 of the coils). The filter looked dirty, but I had just put it on there a week ago. Does it seem reasonable that the filter could've gotten so dirty in a week that the coils froze up like that? The HVAC unit is in a large closet above my master bathroom. There is a lot of spare insulation lying around up there. Could that be the source of a lot of the dust?

Also, any ideas on what is a good differential between the return air and the supply air? I'm seeing about 9-11. The HVAC installer said that's about right for a heat pump.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ms244 View Post
    any ideas on what is a good differential between the return air and the supply air? I'm seeing about 9-11. The HVAC installer said that's about right for a heat pump.
    he made a mistake or you heard him wrong!

Next time, don't tell him what the temp diff is. And he'll come out and fix it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I didn't tell him what the difference was. He told me, and I've observed it independently. I was standing beside him in my living room when he checked it. And said, "Yeah, that's about right for a heat pump."

Shall I get a second opinion? This is the guy who installed it, obviously.

By the way, it's a 30,000 BTU unit. The condo is about a 900 ft² with 14 foot ceilings.

Well, heat pumps can and do give much better temp splits then that.
    A second opinion will help.
    Contractor locator map

By the way, the ice was on the bottom 1/3 of the coils if that means anything.

Couple things could cause that. You need a tech that will check it. Not just look up at the grille.
    Contractor locator map

Thanks for your help!

I'm going to get a second opinion.

About how long after the install before you noticed the ice???

Barrie

I've been living here a month. I just checked the temp of the air coming out of the unit and it was 65. The air going in is 72 degrees. (Not that 72 degrees isn't comfortable, but it took all day to get there given a 7 degree differential).

Is it still building up ice, what kind of filter did you install and how long is it -the filter-lasting now? I own a company, my (ours)reputation is what what keeps everybody working, if someone called up about about a poor install, it would get all kinds of attention.